Thread: Favourite SP

7dan7

Favourite SP

Whats your favourite sp for squire and bream + how do you rig it ie line leader + hook???????

cheers dan

new to this type of fishing + looking for some tried + tested setups to give it ago .

thanks

NeilD

Re: Favourite SP

Inshore I like Berkley Gulps. I use 10lb Fireline tied to a 2 metre 10 -15 lb flourocarbon leader with an improved Albright. If I am feeling fancy I will tie a double in the Fireline with a 40 turn bimini or just double the Fireline over

Cheers

Neil

For bream my favourite is 3 inch watermelon powerbait. 6 lb fireline braid with 6 lb yamatoya fluro carbon. For squire my favourite is a 5 inch gulp minnow in camoe colour, 14lb braid and 16 lb leader.

Never tried for squire, but for bream I would say 6" Gulp Sandworm in Camo colour (cut to 3") at the moment, tomorrow it'll probably be something different but a good chance it'll be on of the Gulp family. I mainly use 4 & 6lb Fireline and 6lb Vanish leader.

Cheers

John

BERKLEY GULP GRUB IN WATERMELLON

3" Berkley Power Minnow in Smelt (Not the realistics). Berkley GULPS. 2" Berkley Power Hawgs.

1/16-1/40 Oz TT Lures Jighead with a #2 hook.

4lb Fireline, 6lb Fireline, 2lb Platypus Super Braid. 6lb Vanish Flourocarbon, 12lb Yamatoyo Flourocarbon.

bream - 3inch fire bait minnows in green, 3inch berkley minnow grubs in pumpkinseed, 4lb fire line with 6 - 10lb berkley vanish leader.
    squire - 4inch berkley gulp minnows in pumpkinseed (the ones in the blue packet), 3 inch zooms in baby bass colour, 4 inch power bait minnows in watermelon or pumpkinseed (not the realistics) with 16lb PE braid on 14 lb vanish leader. tt and nitro jigheads in assorted sizes but always with heavy wire hooks.

Hey Dan,

Which of those ones you mentioned are your faves for squire though?

And can anybody tell me the difference between the gulp 3" Pogys and their 3" Shaky Shads besides the colour range?

Also has anybody noticed the diffrence in consistency between the pumkinseed shaky shads and any of the other colours? I seem to find the pumkinseed colour feels doughier than the others. When its temperature gets up a bit if you handle them for a while they almost stick to your fingers a bit like bread dough does. I haven't found this with the other colours even though I still love the same lure in the sardine colour, oh hang on the sardine is the pogy.....

Mark

Hi folks,

Regarding to 6" Gulp Sandworm...just wondering how long can you use the it for???
    I mean how many times can it be used before you have to chucks it into the rubbish bin???

3" Berkley powerbait, just about any colour, i think it's the smell and taste of the berkleys that drive the bream wild. As for snapped i've never fished for them on SP's but i will be starting this wknd with my new boat and new combo.

Sorry - Those ones mentioned previously were for bream...

For squire the Saltwater Assassins (4 1/4") work best for me. The Zoom Fluke's are just right behind them though... Either of those 2 will catch you squire. Colouring I like Watermelon. Caught lots of different fish on those.

Jigheads I up the weight to 1/16 - 1/4Oz depending on the current & depth. I usually only fish for squire in the 3-10m depths though, so if you went deeper, you'd have to up the weights and probably plastic size.

Craigus

The berkley 3" minnow powerbaits in pearl watermelon and pumpkinseed.
    I use 6lb fireline and 1/16th to 1/32nd oz TT jigheads
    Thats what I have had success on for bream

aquarius

For Squire/snapper i use 10lb Finns braid with 2 metres of 12 lb yamatoyo flurocarbon leader.
    The knot i use is "Mike's simple braid knot".
    1/8th 2/0 heavy wire nitro jigheads.
    Best colour before sunrise zoom 4"watermellon and after sunrise 4"zoom baby bass.
    Cheers Brent

No one has said my new favourite squire plastic yet........

Thats good.
    Cheers

Steven