Thread: bill norman speed clips

bill norman speed clips

Reading an article about using plastics in Awoonga and the guy recommends using Bill Norman speed clips. He actually said the hole rig was a split ring on the plastic eye, the speed clip on that and then a loop knot onto that. I know everybody will say 'to bulky' but I quote from the article "Although the rig may look bulky the barra don't seem to mind" There were also accompanying pics with metreish looking barra with this rig hanging out of there gobs.

Anybody used these? If so where can I get them. I am drawing blank looks from the guys in the tackle stores on the gold coast.

Hardb8 mentioned in another post I started that he uses the Halco number 3 cross lock snaps. I have also seen these on lures in pics of awoonga barra as well. Again, I can find them on the Halco website but not in the shops. Any ideas guys?

thanks in advance
    Mark

Re: bill norman speed clips

I use and love the speed clips. Just wish they made an intermediate size. They have them at the Tackle Warehouse at Coorparoo.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Thanks for that Jeremy. Have you used them on barra though?

I have used the bigger clips on barra. No question over their strength on a straight pull (around 60 lbs), but there is always a small chance that they might be forced open in the mouth of the barra and unclip the lure. Very unlikely, but possible.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Glind

They have come undone on me a few times and now I only use cross lock snaps. It isn't worth the risk.
    Tim

Have used them for years on everything frm bream to threadfin with Barra in the middle and have never had one fail they are a great snap and one of teh few that work well on smaller lures. They are around if you keep looking.

hardb8

G'day Mark,
    # # # # # # # # # The Bill Norman Speed clips do come in small sizes,I used them when I was doing alot of wadeing for Flathead.After I lost two fish with lures attached I threw em out.Thought the first was a one off situation but the second happened and I learnt my lesson.The savage head shakes of the Flaties were probably their downfall,I found it unacceptable and sought a better alternative.With the Speed clips you also have the doubled section of the clip in contact with the tow point of ya lure,This will cause the tintest loss of action (Due to double the friction) opposed to a crosslock which has a single wire contacting the tow point.The crosslock also has a good sized radius at the bottom which eliminates futher friction,Creating stronger action.I admit there minor details,But I believe it's the little things that seperate you from everyone else on the water if ya choose to take the time to address them.Attention to detail in every aspect will increase your chances and improve your confidence.The Halcos are also available at the Warehouse,They also come in bigger sizes if ya want em.

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #Regards hardb8. #