Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Famous Mackmauler Slugs

Re: The Famous Mackmauler Slugs

Foxy,

I don't believe that there are problems associated with other fish hitting the lure when it is sliding. At Teewah we all use sliders for spotties and as long as we use a short piece of wire, then there are no probs at all. Spotties of course don't require the same sliding motion that is necessary for tailor as they are not a leaping and headshaking fish. So we use a length of wire not much longer than the slug to avoid the hooked fish biting us off and to prevent the lure getting far enough away from the hooked fish to allow other fish to hit it. Other fish won't hit a lure or sinker that is close to the hooked fishs' mouth due to potential damage to themselves from the panicked hooked fishs' teeth. Once the lure or sinker is more than probably 20 - 25cm away from the hooked fishs' mouth then it would appear to be a target. I learnt this from our days of fishing for spaniards off the beach with baits in the 70's and 80's.
    Although the advantages of using sliders are less when playing tuna, mackerel etc then they would be with tailor etc, there is still a benefit in that any headshaking effect will be reduced. Cobia is a fish that I have noticed distinct advantages with the sliders when the fish surfaces close to the boat and headshakes dramatically. Tuna aren't as bad in that sense but again any reduced impact from any headshake particularly when there is little length of cushioning line out, has to be advantageous and is. There are absolutely no dramas of other fish busting up when fishing for tailor with 30 - 40cm of wire length. Any body who would suggest otherwise simply doesn't know what they are talking about. I would suggest that any experienced angler should imagine in their own mind the forces that are at work when playing a fish. Picture what the lure is doing and understand the physics that play a role with the different species that can be targeted with slugs. Logic will tell you that a weighty slug being thrown around by the fish increases the likelihood of being thrown especially with poor hook positioning. The suggestion that my technique is at fault is both offensive given my experience levels and incorrect given the pure logic associated. Check out 'Beach Bliss' from April reports, just as one only example to see whether sliders work on different species. I guess the proof is always in the pudding.

Dave, that 200-4 was an exceptional summer. Not that long ago out the front here at Agnes, I done 3 slugs on 12 fish. Dirty great macks, but I think...know, the reason was other macks were hitting the slug hanging out of the mouth of the hooked specimen. The mongrels were think as thieves.

Might make you a deal, Lindsay, I'll send you a couple of slugs and you pop a slider into the mail for me ? are you up for it ?

I am always keen to try new products, places and methods.

Up here we mainly spin off the rocks for Schoolies, Spotties, Spanish, Queenies, Mack Tuna, Trevally and ocassionally someone will nail a Black Marlin.

Cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Phill,

Better still mate, I'll drop some in to you when I head up there. Pretty sure that will be in the next few weeks. You are at Agnes aren't you? Hoping to kill a few birds while I'm there and see Tony and obviously fish a bit. Will be boatless so other than Roundhill and Deepwater, my fishing will be a little restricted unless you guys can help a little there.

Linds

Thanks for your reply lindsay, i look forward to phill's opinion of them after some on water tests...

Yes, Lindsay, I am up here until about OCT.

NO boat hey, I am sure we can fix that little problem

I will give you the results Dave.

0419 020 697.

Nissan in the pic and ' ausfish.com.au ' signwriting on the boat. See you here.

Cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Some of the locals around here have been replacing the treble on the raider type lures with a single circle, seems to cut down on the amount of fish that rid themselves of the lure,without adversly affecting the hookup rate.

Doesnt matter what slug you use, if its the right size with a good vmc treble or single and retreived at the best speed, and the spotties are hungry they'll take it.
    Too much properganda and sales pitch around as to who makes the best slugs. they all work.
    regards

I get the headshaking and physics stuff, isn't that why all deepwater jigs are connected with a short bit of flexible kevlar or whatever that bit of string is...?