Thread: 4lb Fireline too thin for reel?

4lb Fireline too thin for reel?

Thanks for all help on previous post

Spinning reel is Penn Applause 2000 spooled with 4lb Berkley Fireline. This line possibly too thin for 2000?

Re: 4lb Fireline too thin for reel?

Gidday mate, I don't use 4lb fireline myself but know of a few poeple that use it on there 2500 reels so should be fine on yours... have you filled the spool completly? also what rod are you running it through? you do need a good graphite rod to get the best out of using braid

Cheers N tight lines
    brandon...

Thanks Brandon.
    Use the reel on a Steve Starling Graphite rod, but been having lot of trouble with line twist. Am thinking Tackle shop guys maybe responsible for not putting line on properly, so will try to rectify on weekend. Only other possible explanation is me I do tend to cast at a 45 degree angle from my shoulder - not from directly over my head as I should. Maybe this is causing lure to spin during the cast?
    Usually use swivels in my baitfishing rigs, so this could be why suddenly happening to me now that I'm tying leader straight to line

umm don't think your casting would cause the twisting.. i know that if you retreve a plastic that isn't quite rigged right faster than normal it gets the spins up but i have never had issues with twist with 10 and 14lb fireline. fireline is very stiff for the first couple of trips out and tends to loop on the spool more often in this case but once it has become more supple casts like a dream I have heard that this is only for fireline up to 14lb and that the 20lb stuff dosn't loosen up as well and causes dramas on eggbeaters. anyways that all i can think of for now!! good luck and hopefully someone else on here can give you some more info

Cheers
    Brandon...

All just a learning curve for me, I think Brandon

Was using a shad, and definately wasn't twisting or spinning through the water. Think its all a combination of factors, so just have to get back to practising - maybe use small swivel in set-up for a time, till work out what I'm doing wrong

somthing you could check is that the bail roller is working. if not you can get a lot of twist in the line. try spinning it with your finger to make sure it is smooth and you could put a drop of oil on it if you haven't already.

I use 4lb rapala titamium braid on a 2500 symetre with no problems at all. another friend has a 3000 applause with 10lb platil millenium braid also no problems. if the line is all new it will be very stiff for a while. this will get better with time. If you have a boat you could try feeding out most of your line with just a small swivel and a small Round sinker attached to get rid of any twist if the line was put on incorrectly.

cheers, roo

If you have a boat or access to one just let the braid out the back of the boat while idling along and reel it back on after about 5 minutes and it wont be twisted anymore.

Rod

wayne_cook

read post on line twist it may help

4lb should be ok