Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: building rods

building rods

anyone on here had ago at building there own rod????
    is it worth doing or does it end up costing to much
    and where is the best place to buy all the stuff

Re: building rods

It will almost certainly cost as much if not a bit more to build your own,for example take the Berkley Dropshots,full Fuji hardware including alconite guides on a decent blank all for round the hundred dollar mark,added to this if you haven't done a few your finish probably wont be as good as the mass produced job.It can however be satisfying to build your own,if you were to go this way any tackle shop worth there salt should carry an extensive range of all that you need.

I have built all of our Surf fishing and trolling/bottom bashing rods. I find that the cost of building them is about half of what the same blank built up sells for in a tackle shop.

I also have the confidence that all the guides, reel seat are top quality and not a cheaper version.

They might not be as pretty as the bought ones with multi coloured bindings, however, this does not make them better for catching fish either.

It is possible to walk into a tackle shop and buy cheaper rods off the shelf, however, their quality can be questionable. This is all relative to how much you would use the rod of course.

I know that I can use and abuse mine with confidence that it will not fail me. I have one rod that is over 25 years old that is still going strong and still catches fish. The guides have been rebound and replaced a couple of times though.

count_baysea

Not as fun buying one. Make one and your hooked. When you build your own you can build it for you , grip lenths for comfort , colour, reel seat up or down, custom builds are worth the $$$$$.
    start with garage sales and second hand stores to buy cheap old rods and practice before you outlay on a new calstar.
    best of luck.

Building a top quality rod useing top quality components for half the price of a mass produced rod or custom job? I'd like to see your break down on costs for components.

Im with banshee,it would cost more ,big companies get big discounts on every thing you will never beat them.I wanted to build a rod simillar to the trophy champion by wilson just getting the materials would have been $262 ,the same rod or very similar -same bklanks guides etc is $196 in bcf on special right now .
    Just my 2c
    cheers
    George
    At Heaven's gate a soldier stood,
    his story ready to tell,
    St Peter said, 'no need my son all is understood,
    Go right in cos you've already served your time in Hell'

Quote Originally Posted by banshee
    Building a top quality rod useing top quality components for half the price of a mass produced rod or custom job? I'd like to see your break down on costs for components.
    i'm gunna show me age here,,,, but i've got a lazy $100 TO BACK MY STATEMENT,,

my old man showed me the fine art of QUALITY rods,,,,,,,,,,,

bamboo blank,,,,,(,that took 10 minutes to choose the straightest stick left in the display rack,,, arguing to the salesman that we knew more than him on what stick was better than the other,,, and of course,, the longest, had to be the best)

then the eyes,,,, they came in packets of 5 (from memory),, the darker the better,, except the tip,,, must be white for night fishing

the seat,,, aluminium,,, (strap on variety,),, with at least 1-2 inch adjustment to accomadate alvey/spin reels)

spool of thread/glue/and a strip of cork,, around 6-10mm in thickness,,,(oops sorry 1/4-3/8")

then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sticky,,yelling,,,told ya so,,,yeh its done,,,, building time

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

seriously,,, you can spend $100,,,,, you can spend $1000,,,,,,you still cant guarentee the fish,,,,,,,,,

can anyone tell me if you can still buy bamboo blanks,,,, ?????????

can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

So your statement is you will get all the components for a hundred bucks to build a quality surf rod?

I personally dont think you can make them cheaper but quality is up 200% . Check out guide spacings on factory rods and see for yourself or visit webbys post on the live fibre he broke. His is not the only one,besides you get what you want when you build it yourself. Graham

Not meaning to be critical of Bowie.M but how is some one who has never rolled a rod going to improve on say a Wilson Live Fibre or for that matter a Crystal Power Tip by 200%? Even after buying all the bits he still has to aquire the skill needed as well as finding a way of turning it. The only time I would consider a custom/self made rod would be if there was a particular style of rod not available off the shelf or if there was a particular blank whos Taper/action was not available.As far as Webby's rod is concerned I think it was more a case of a blank problem than a runner spacing problem.

Quote Originally Posted by banshee
    So your statement is you will get all the components for a hundred bucks to build a quality surf rod?
    YEAH,,, plus change

don't take the interpretation wrong mate,,, my old man spent back then around 20-30 dollars in cost building more than 1 rod,,, and if it didn't turn out right,,,strip the rod and it became kindling for the open fire....

but we spent upteem dollars in value building,,,and fishing with them,,,as the ad says,,,,PRICELESS

and anyone who fished the 90 mile beach in vic 20-30 yrs ago will testify that the salmon/gummy shark were the main targets

i think the main purpose of my reply is/was,,, you don't have to spend a zillion $ building your own piece of equipment,,, as long as its what suits your requirement,, and your happy with the outcome,,,

god knows what our forefathers/mothers fished with and caught,,, their gear had their own stories undoubtabley,,

(thank you mr f/glass, is the catch phrase nowadays)
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

I prefer to build my own, much cheaper than a "top end" rod off the shelf, and just as good. Mind you the middle range rods off the shelf are usually just as good as well!

But I reckon most people who buy top end rods are just doing it for the bragging rights, not coz it helps them catch more fish.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR INFO I HAVE DECIDED TO DO IT MYSELF NOT CAUSE IT WILL WORK OUT CHEAPER BUT THE FACT THAT AT THE END OF THE DAY WHEN I AM SITING IN THE BOAT BEER IN ONE HAND AND ROD IN THE OTHER I CAN SIT BACK AND SAY I BUILT THIS IT MAY NOT CATCH FISH ANY BETTER THEN THE NEXT BLOKES KMART SPECIAL IT MAY HAVE COST 12 TIMES AS MUCH BUT
    I BUILT IT!!!!!!!

WILL GET SOME PHOTOS UP AS SOON AS POSIBLE

stuart

I think the guy’s who want to build a rod in order to save some $$$ should stop and have a good look before diving in. First of all you can’t buy the components wholesale which is going to force the price up immediately. Buying components on a retail level is always going to work out far more expensive than buying a ready made rod off the shelf. You should never be sucked in to believing that you can build a rod better than a factory turned model in if you have never built rod before, I’m not quite sure how that is possible. I would suggest building a rod for your self for your own gratification, needs, and desires and so on. If you want a cheap rod go to Kmart, Amart and the other million discount shops around Brisbane. I have been at this game for way to many years, I have seen guys build incredible rods for a first timer; hell I would give them a job at the drop of a hat. Yet, I have seen other first timers build rods that resemble something a dog spewed up. If you do it for the love of it and time isn’t an issue then you can be assured that your rod will turn out better than what you expected. I can’t encourage enough people to get into rod building, hell we need more to combat the Chinees.

Stuart Mackenzie
    Precision Rods

have a look here..http://shop.mudhole.com/ work out what you want. then shoot them an email as to cost including shipping, convert to aussie dollars. then go to local shop & do the same exercise, with same components.
    as Stuart said you may be able to put it together, but wether it is any good is another thing..

also as to Stuarts comment about some first timers putting together great first efforts, new a fella who could put together a brilliant rod, if you saw it you would give it a miss, no colour sense & could not epoxy to save himself , wasn't important to him. but they were amazingly functional rods [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] he made a lot of rods for people too...