Thread: I need some advice on alvey reel/pole combos

I need some advice on alvey reel/pole combos

I'm thinking of buying an Alvey rod/reel combo for light surf/estuary fishing. I fish /vacation in Nags Head, North Carolina every year and need to know from some experienced Alvey owners if a 500 BXCL is an adequate reel for this area/type of fishing.(Blues, Trout, Flonder, Snapper) I fish 5% of the time in freshwater so this is new to me. Also what rod length would match this reel properly. I usually use spinning gear and a 3 oz. weight and live bait so I am looking to improve my results by casting further and listening to any advice/techniques that you guys may have.

Thanks,

Yunko

NeilD

Re: I need some advice on alvey reel/pole combos

If you are casting heavier weights eg 3 oz then it is not what we could call a light surf outfit. The standard here is a stick between 12'and 14' matched to a 650 size Alvey. What sort of line are you going to use and what distance do you want to cast?

Cheers

Neil

Re: I need some advice on alvey reel/pole combos

When you log onto the main page of this site, you can look at all the Alvey reels and rods. Just click on the appropriate topics that you want to look at.

If you're after casting distance, then a 650 is generally the best size reel matched to a rod from 12' to say 13'6". You can get the 650 reels with or without a star drag.

TOL