Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: how many lures are too many?

marlinqld

Re: how many lures are too many?

i have 12 halco's..thats enough for the occasionall troll down the rainbow...............otherwise

I LOVE THE SMELL OF BAITY FINGERS IN THE MORNING.............. AND NIGHT

i have lots but only use a few

"150 lures...300 lures...the lures sure worked...lured you into buying them..BUT...do you actually catch fish on them??????"

Hell yes! Used to fish the fresh a lot for Bass, Yellowbelly and Barra. If I was going to bait fish for them it would have meant being prepared with live shrimp etc, which was fine on the weekends when I had a bit of spare time, but would have cut out all my after work fishing outings. So, using lures allowed me to sneak down to the river for and hour or so after work and that can't possibly be a bad thing.

Dave.

I cant count but the missus always says " if you buy another lure Im leaving " Ive bought one everyday for the last 4 years and she is still here.

How many is that ?

hell im going with the majority you can never have enough fishing tackle ill try post a pic of my lure collection never really counted just in case the wife finds out the total but must be around the 300 mark friend of mine just counted his hardbodies last week came to 1050 have to work my way up to that cheers jas

jim_farrell

I did a barra trip a few years ago. One morning we decided to take the canoe to access some back water. I had my rod, clear plastic tacklebox with about 30 lures in it, and $1500 worth of camera. First rapid of the day, do we go around or shoot it, ....... we shoot it. We roll, I loose my lure box, catch camera bag but it was screwed also lost my custom rod and calcutta.
    Swim ashore to find the lure on my rod (a bronze spearhead) was hooked on the back of my shorts. Follow the line back into the whitewater and retrieve my rod.

For the next 4 hours, I out fished three other guys with my one lure. Go figure.

Do I carry less lures these days, no still a lure junky. It is funny how after trying 5 or 10 flash lures, that you pull out the oldest rattiest lure in the box and have success.

To answer the question, I have to many to count, but still not enough.
    Jim

Too many! What's that?

I have nearly 30 Plano Stowaway boxes filled to the limit with lures and soft plastics. Plus a 48 quart rubbermaid box fill to capacity with additional bags of SPs. I've got so much I had to have it insured on a separate policy from my boat. Seriously! But like many of you I still go every couple of weeks to the local shop and buy more. Same goes for rod and reel setups, got about 30 of those. One for every technique I use. Even though I have so much its hard to take it all with me I still want more. The only way I am able to controll myself is I have set up a separate bank account that I put a few bucks in every time I get paid and that is what I buy my stuff out of. If the money is not there I don't buy anything.

Casey B.

just stop counting and keep collecting......tackle store workers need to eat too !!!

Ask your wife how many shoes she has, she'll give you the right answer!

As I keep telling Ian, as he continues to load his tackle box - lures are pretty so they catch the fisherman.

His collection is pretty big but now he only seems to replace the ones that he looses or retires. The best bit is when he does his "clean outs" every year or so - I am sure it is only so he has the excuse to buy more. #

I keep getting told that you can never have enough - Haven't quite been convinced yet but getting there

Nomes

It all leads back to that basic male philosofy.....He who dies with most toys wins.

Stonecold,

you've nailed it!!!!!!

"I've got one word for you.......shoes!"

that's what I used to say to the missus if there were any comments like "why do you need so many lures?", etc, etc.

Fortunately I stopped about 5 years ago when I had about 100 hardbodies.

But then came soft plastics!!!

I managed to control myself though and currently only have a "small" collection of those guys.

I hardly ever use my hardbodies anymore but they are ready to come off the reserve bench for that next big trip up north that seems oh so far away!

Mick.
    Check out my boat for sale in the classifieds

• 469 Stacer open Seahorse/Nomad
    • 50hp 4 stroke tiller Mercury
    • Heaps of extras, in top condition
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

.great thread, isuffice with these, a small collection compared to some.

cheers Maxi

Quote Originally Posted by davez104
    "150 lures...300 lures...the lures sure worked...lured you into buying them..BUT...do you actually catch fish on them??????"

Hell yes! Used to fish the fresh a lot for Bass, Yellowbelly and Barra. If I was going to bait fish for them it would have meant being prepared with live shrimp etc, which was fine on the weekends when I had a bit of spare time, but would have cut out all my after work fishing outings. So, using lures allowed me to sneak down to the river for and hour or so after work and that can't possibly be a bad thing.

Dave.
    Exactly Dave,

It's almost sacrilegious fishing for Australian Bass & Estuary Perch with anything but lures....just not cricket!

at one stage I used nothing but lures for both blue water and estuary, which included Bass. I rarely use lures for blue water these days, it got tooooo expensive.

Jason,

Very keen to see a pic of your lure collection..

Stumpy,

What species do you target over there? I am very interested in finding out what there is on offer, if you don't mind.

cheers roz
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

too many lures ! no such thing .
    Give a man a fish and feed him for a day , teach a man to fish and feed him for life .