Thread: 6 - 8 kilo?

6 - 8 kilo?

I have been advised that for the type and size of fish i fish for that a 6 t 8 kilo rod is order for me, i have been recommended the samurai model. How do i tell or where on the rod do i find out if this is the one. Target snapper small kingies jewies in the rivers. On some rods i have seen line class to be used is that what the 6 to 8 kilo means?? Is there a major difference in rod set up when using overheads to the old eggbeater?
    Thanks for any advice.
    Jewie

Rocket439

Re: 6 - 8 kilo?

normally the details are located on the blank between the grips and the first guide. the major difference in set up is that on overheads the reel sits on top of the rod compared to underneath on a spin or 'eggbeater'. the rods are different as well, the overhead rod usually has a 'pistolgrip'. In short, 6-8kg should do you fine for what you are going to target.

Hi Jewie,

If you are buying a samurai blank, it will be near the butt section located next to the model No. ie:- one of my Samurais is an NV7-1, 5-8kg. In my view I think Samurai builds a very nice light, but strong rod.

IMO, 6 to 8kg sounds about right for what you are chasing, would also make a good shallow water snapper rod for outside & probably kingies also.

A ready made rod should also indicate a rating, usually just above the fore grip. If it's not there, just ask, as the info is likely to be in one of their catalogues. Might also indicate 'fast, medium or slow' this is the taper of the rod and it pays to have a play with all three types if you can.

I think it comes down to personal preference, I like to use fast tapering rods.

As for baitcasters/overheads or eggbeaters. The first guide along from the foregrip should be larger/wider if you are going to be using an eggbeater, as the line comes of the reel in loops when casting. It needs that extra bit of space ..... you'll find out, if you try and cast an egg beater using a rod specifically build for an overhead/baitcaster.

You will be able to get a 'ready built' to suit both styles.

I hope this helps a little.

At the end of the day what ever feels right for you is really all that matters.

Good luck

roz.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

The Samurai blank you are chasing is the RCB008.

One piece 7 foot rated to 6-8 kg

Have one built in a spin stick mate and its a cracker

Chers

Steven
    Cheers

Steven

HI YO,
    Any good to chuck sp's with? I'm thinking of getting a heavier duty spin stick and reel combo to do duty on jacks and maybe a little sp work on reefs.

No light stuff mate.

Throw softies at LT Tuna mostly and chuck 3/8 or 1/2 oz beautifuly.

Other than that use it for deep plastic work, slugs, slices etc.

Havent bait fished with it yet

Nice stick

Cheers

Steven
    Cheers

Steven