Thread: paravane help

paravane help

Hey has anyone had any success using Yamashita trolling boards (paravanes)? Mine keeps blowing out of the water even on dead slow troll - boat cant go any slower. If anyone has tips, I would appreciate it.

I am running a snap swivel to the ring thing and 50lb mono - about 3 metres to the barra spoon - Blows out on all settings - shallow to deep.

Thanks,

Adam

Re: paravane help

Adam,

can you post a pic of it, might help? Does it look symetrical?

Otherwise get a DR, no probs then

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Darryl

Adam they have port and starboard settings as well, try changing them as i have had it happen to me and thats what it was.... They will fail and when they surface just give the main line a quick grab and the will sink back down.

Mine are set like this and i let out about 50m of line, this works for me but im sure someone will correct me on it They could probably correct me on the cheap ass shitty rod i use and cheap K___mart line i use as well lmao.

Failing that, come and pick me up.

Connect them with a snap/swivel to the front and on the back tie a normal knot so it comes up tight on the back. I tried a loop on the back not it didn't work. I can troll at 8 knots easily

FishOn

A couple of other suggestions:

1. Put smaller tackle on, this will reduce the drag substantially. Small black crane swivels help.
    2. Move the top fitting (to the main line) further back. This will cause the paravane to have a steeper incline and therefore a tendency to stay down more effectively.
    3. Length and weight of line from paravane to lure can have a big effect. Too long, thick or heavy will also cause it to pop up. About 2m long is the max, 1.5m is better. 30 lb is about the max.
    4. Any more than a 3" spoon is too big? If it is too big or creates too much drag, this will also cause it to pop up.
    5. Letting out too much line (to the paravane) will also cause it to pop up. Closer to the boat helps to keep it dowm.
    6. #The green paravane (same brand as the yellow) is a deeper diving form. It stays down a little better. It is a little more forgiving in terms of rigging and the lure.

Kind regards Trevor

Darryl

Everything Trevor has said is about right as too how mine are setup, bar the swivels, what Trevor said seem to make sense about less drag although i haven't had to many problems.

Trevor the yellow ones i have have hit bottom in 8 mtrs, how deep will the green ones go mate???

Darryl.

FishOn

Havn't used on in a while, exact depths have slipped my mind. However, I think the green ones don't much deeper (than 8m), about a metre at the most. But they do stay down much better than the yellow items and are more tolerant of heavier gear/drag etc.

Kind regards Trevor

adamy do you mean the paravanes shown above or the yamashita that looks like a small surfboard ??
    brian

Sorry guys... been a bit busy the last few days... thanks for all the replies... heres a pic of the board. Yeh Brian it looks like a small surfboard.

I think you can see from the pic that I havent done the knot up tight and the length to the lure is about 3 metres. I think this type is supposed to duck and weave - or at least thats what mine does, But the problem is it ducks and weaves so much it ends up spinning and popping up - when it comes up it rolls over on its back and wont go down again - even when I tug on it.

The main line to the board and snap is 30lb leader back to braid and the trace to the lure from the board is 50 lb Duncan at the tackle shop said to use up to 80lb. Using a barra spoon about 3inches long.

Trevor - can you see anything else wrong or should I try your pointers first - perhaps move the line to one of the other side holes?

Thanks again guys.... and Darryl - Lets have another go at another date - maybe next week? - what kind of conditions are we looking for? Oh I did have some success for the three seconds I was able to keep it down - a grinner GRRRRR

Bump.... sorry have nothing further to add - just trying to grab a couple of guys attention by climbing up the list - want to get this lil problem sorted before I hit the water again... or should I just go buy a new one - like your yellow one Darryl?? Where?? B C F are out

Darryl

Budds bait and tackle at Cleveland Adam will have them for sure. I'l slip you a pm mate on when we will give it a go.

Darryl.