Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spotter sunglasses?

Spotter sunglasses?

Had a look at a pair of spotters on Saturday, sweet looking heavy things they were, then put them back quick-smart when the lovely shop assistant told me how much they were . But seriously, are they as good as people say. Not having spent much more that $40 on a pair of sunnies myself, spending $270+ seems a bit much for me , me being a tight ar$$ that is . If I do buy a pair, has anyone got any suggestions on which ones are pretty good value all round, should I go for the glass lens or the cheaper lens{not by much I'm lead to believe}? Any help on this matter will help me and my wallet a great deal. CHEERS woody. PS, Will mostly use for fishing, but if they cost as much as they do, will probably sleep with the suckers on as well .

Re: Spotter sunglasses?

this question has been asked before, personally they are your eyes - use cheap glasses if you must. I am on my third pair of spotters and looking at my fourth soon - I average about three years a pair. The weight you get used to and compare them to how many pairs of cheap glasses you go through.

G'day
    There has been a good thread a little while ago about these sunnies and others in general. All good info. I have a set of rapids. Glass lenses, You get used to the weight and I LOVE mine. I have dodgy eyes and as far as i'm concerned..... buy the best you can afford. I'm on my third pair. Depending on where you work they may be a tax move for you aswell.
    Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

I have a pair of Spotters , Rapid version in the glass and the glass is well worth it .

Sam...

I bought a pair of Makos last year. At first wasn't too sure until i'd seen the difference between another expensive brand. The extra vision i have of the bottom suits my style of fishing. The lighter lenses lets me see much more especially in overcast conditions. Personally well worth $270. Got to take care of the eyes. Only got one pair! PS. a good stap to stop them falling into the drink is a must!

Once you buy a set of good sunnies you will never go back to the cheapies, I have a pair of spotters now and reckon there great.

Cheers

This is a copy of a reply i posted in the last thread on this topic.
    So far i have had only 1 member take advantage of this.
    If you want to pay full price for sunnies by all means go to a retail outlet.
    If you would like to pay less than half the retail price send me a PM or give me a call on 0409065032.

I can supply you with any type of lens you require whether it be sunglasses or prescription lenses.

I can do these lenses and any other lenses at wholesale prices along with some frames.
    Can be made as plano or prescription lenses.

The prices below are for CR 39(plastic)

Frame and lenses

The frames are Mako wrap around metal in grey or brown.
    With the following lenses.
    plain polarised grey or brown $170.00
    prescription polarised grey or brown $190.00

Lenses only.
    If you have your own frames the lenses are$60.00 or $80.00.

There is also a new lens that has just been released that i am trying ATM.
    The lens is called DRIVEWEAR.
    It is CR39 Polarised transition lenses that are a yellow/brown in low light then change to a darker red /brown in bright light.
    Have not yet tried them on the water but will let you know what they are like when i do.

If anyone is in need of lenses send me a PM and i will get you prices for your particular lenses.

Cheers Dazza

G'day

Tried most brands on the market, currently have Spotters, working up to Maui Jim's .
    Good quality polarising lenses are well worth the extra $, but how much is too much. Some charge a premium for the brand name, it would be handy to have a 'Choice' magazine type comparision done on sunnies.

Dazza, I'll give you a call when looking for a new pair, customizing lenses to frames sounds the way to go.

rgds

Yes a neck strap is most important was not a happy camper as I watched the Makos go down to Davie Jones Locker > >Would have went in after them if we hadn't just brought a 3mtr shark up
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

Borminator

Woody,
    I have Spotters in the Penetrator Glass lense. I figured that if I was going to spend big bucks I would get the best lenses available. I was the same as you and for years and only bought cheep sunnies. This is my second pair of Spotters and they are fantastic. The first pair got run over after falling from the boat when I was towing it home. I was not happy but was so impressed with them that I went and got another pair. Once you have had a pair of quality glasses you just couldn't go back. My eyes are not as young as they used to be but I can wear the Spotters all day without getting any eye strain. I still use cheepies around the yard and at work and keep the good ones just for fishing or long driving trips. They are amazing when it comes to fishing and looking into water. If you are willing to look after them they are worth the investment.

Blue Dog

Woody,

I know sunnies are expensive to buy. Have you thought about lay-by. It is a great way to get something expensive if you don't have the money. Paying $20-$30 a week/fornight will be easier than paying for them outright and it always seems cheaper some how.

How do you think chicks get away with buying all of those expensive clothes and things. It is the best kept secret of the shopping world.

Good luck with your choice.
    Nomes

NeilD

I work around public swimming pools and that is a pretty harsh environment. I can get three years out of a pair of spotters while other top brands die within a year. I like the photocromatic penetrators and reckon if you go to a quality pair of glasses you will neverconsider going back to cheapies.

Neil

Woody74,

Spotters are well worth the money spent on them,you only get one pair of peepers so it is best to look after them.
    We sell alot of spotters to fishos who need protection from on water glare and we all wear Spotters when we fish as they are best and as an added bonus Aussie owned and made.

Sundown Marine.
    Sundown Marine.
    Cnr Anzac Ave and Regency street
    Redcliffe QLD 4020
    (07) 32033007

just recently got a pair of spotters (glass lens) 3 months ago & they are great...even better id only paid $85...gotta love sales 70% off......but i even pay $290 for them

Mako's , bought them several years ago and only use them when on or at the water. Quick wash with warm sopapy water when finish ,back into the case for next time .They are still in perfect condition and worth every penny,I use good quality safety glass for my day to day wear so the makos are keeped in prime condition.
    Cheers
    Barry
    Take photos and memories leave only footprints, respect the enviroment when 4 wheel driving , never be too busy to help out someone in need.