Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most popular soft plastic for flathead

Most popular soft plastic for flathead

Hi All

what would be everyone's current favourite soft plastic for flathead? Are the Gulp's as good as people say? and what is the best jighead for Estuary fishing for flathead?

Re: Most popular soft plastic for flathead

the best I personaly have found is the little 'twin tail" elcheapo mister twister type of one in a really un appealing brown looking colour, and about 3" long, outfishes all the fancy fishy looking expensive patterns by a long shot, hey and I am not trying to put down any one's product here, just that is what works for me (south coast NSW) and I have tried just about everything at some time or another.

G'day
    My best flathead of 2kg and 66cm fell to a 5'' jerk shad gulp in watermelon. Jighead would have been 3/0 1/8 tt.
    Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

2" powerbait grub in pumpinkinseed on Squidgie 2g jighead..

Having some success of late with salt water assassin bubble gum chicken in grub tails, similar colour in berkley is nuclear chicken I think. 3" and 4" size. 1/8 #1 or 1/0. Also like the whiskey colour grub tails with metalic flake inside from atomic.

Craigus

My favourite is the 3" powerbait minnow in pumpkinseed on a 1/8th #2 TT jighead

Stealth_Black_Rod

Gulp 3" minnow in chartruese with 1/8th #2 around the gold coast.

Stop playing with the little stuff

Go a 4/5/6 inch size or upsize to a 8 inch model.
    Cheers

Steven

With flatties, i have found that the more successful plastics are the 1s with some action in the style of the plastics, eg paddletails (fish or worm profiles with a tail that vibrates) or twisty tail grubs. I have found the minnow style plastics dont catch as many fish as the action is angler imposed and doesnt put out the same vibrations as a plastic with action. My current favourite, and the only plastic i really use of flatties is the Atomic paddletail in 2 1/2in in green gord colour, although they are getting hard to find. Probably the most popular fall back plastic would be a squidgy fish in garry glitter or black gold colour with an assortment of fluro pinks 1s as well (seems popular although i catch more on the motor oil colours) Best flattie to date is around 80cm (im landbased) will put on a pic as well with the plastic
    cheers

Squidgie Silver fox in 70 -85 mm size with 5 or 6 gram jig head.

Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

Thats the colour I meant, looks whiskey colured out of the water and goes greenish in the water and has metallic flakes through it, goes a treat around the pine rivers area.

Hey mate
    I used squidgie fish with a 6gm jig head and have caught a few on them

T-roy

Squidgy silver fox, gary glitter, black gold, hot tomatoe and honey prawn in that order.
    On the really quiet days I use 3"gulps, bit its almost like useing bait.

hey mate use 3inch peed power baits they work good
    cheers
    zach

G'day
    I think the message is... anything will bloody well work. Find somehting you are comfortable with and go with that. The bigger plastics is what I like, but I do also have a soft spot for the 3'' minnow grub in pumpkinseed in the gulp.
    Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au