Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: G.Loomis Rod's??

Re: G.Loomis Rod's??

Quote Originally Posted by grave41
    .lures,yes its my opion they should be backboned properly.I"ve had a spin stick twisting in my hands while fighting a fish,mind you it was a 13kg cobia but it makes one think why put extra stress on yourself and the rod blank just because of backbone alignment. Loomis do it for anything over 15kg. Why not for lower rateings,it takes 2 minutes to do at the most ,even Wilson have started doing it.
    IMO Graham

i agree, my personal opinion is a rod should be on the backbone.
    as stated it takes no time at all. while it may not feel any different on lighter gear, it has to be putting stress on the blank when it is loaded & eventually it may or may not fail. why take the chance except to save a minute amount of time. to me it is only laziness & marketing bull**it to save a few cents. may be acceptable on a cheap rod, but all should be perfect on a loomis with what they are worth. again with them i reckon it's also BS as i have heard it said that their blanks are so good they don't have backbones yeah, right..

luress

I have never heard loomis state there blanks are so good they dont have a backbone.The reasearch done by these companys all state that lighter rods do not need to be built right on the backbone but they are only out by a few degrees.I am yet to see one out 90 degrees.The guys I fish with have spent millions on blank developement and would tell you the same stuff they told me when I quizzed them about the same thing.A few degrees off the backbone doesnt matter on light to medium gear.I have angler rods that are just off and I cant feel any twist on 10kg.But you are right when you say you expect it to be right for the bucks
    regards gary

Quote Originally Posted by .lures
    I have never heard loomis state there blanks are so good they dont have a backbone.
    tackle shop BS

G.Loomis 90 degrees out.

Have another go with the pic.

very interesting, i just went and checked a few of my rods. found that the two cheapest were built on the back bone and two of my expensive ones werent daiwa procaster z, strudwick sicstik both werent built on the backbone, 90degrees off, uglystik and shimano steve starling bass spin both perfectly on the backbone....

you may find when you hold your rod to cast that the natural angle for casting on lighter rods is on the backbone which is on it's side makes the rod more accurate than twisting against the backbone during the cast
    just a thought
    Gus

Quote Originally Posted by garygusart2000
    you may find when you hold your rod to cast that the natural angle for casting on lighter rods is on the backbone which is on it's side makes the rod more accurate than twisting against the backbone during the cast
    just a thought
    Gus

would this be done to suit both left & right handed casters ??

I'll weigh into the backbone discussion a little here. Most of us don't cast absolutely perfectly with the backbone dead parallel to the target and certainly we don't always have the rod at a perfect angle to a fish, so I'd question what difference it makes generally. I agree with Gary ( Is that you Powers?) that it will make a difference on heavier tackle because things do tend to stay more in line with the fish. As for the Loomis thing. I have several and love them all. The key thing for me in my fishing is fatigue. You'll be a lot less sore in the arm/wrist after a day on lurecasting with a GLX compared to an IMX compared to GL3 etc etc. I'm sure the same holds true for blank quality with all manufacturers. You DO get what you pay for. It's just whether you can justify it or not. I also agree there are plenty of rods out there now that are as good as GL2 and GL3 but IMO very few as good as GLX and, to a lesser extent IMX.
    Cheers, Darryl

For me personaly the only time a backbone is important is on an ungimbled overhead rod.

luress

Your right Banshee, your photo is a good one your not trying to tell me that that spin stick twists to the sky when loaded
    Yes Darryl tis I,I love a good loomis post I am very biased towards them mainly because of the guys I used to fish with when I was in the trade.
    Used to be in the tackle trade DR never heard that said before .The shops you visit may be spinning a few tales
    regards gary