Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: G.Loomis Rod's??

Re: G.Loomis Rod's??

Thanx for all the help guy's, i think i am going to go for the loomis, as i dont really want to get a custom rod made. i will be sure to check out the rod before i buy it though, just to check for any faults.

Cheers, Dave

Mate seriously you dont hear everyone saying LOOMIS are the BEST for nothing... One you fish one you will never go back... Infact you will proabbly sell everyother rod you have just to replace them with LOOMIS gear... I have 4 of my own and Im telling you they are an absolute asset to any fisherman...

Wheezer,if you checked the Composite Developements web site, they use Dual helical at +- 45 degrees.
    Loomis must be a good rod if the japanese are importing them into their country.
    I have to agree their build quality is not up to scratch but its the blank that catches the fish.Their actions are hard to beat.
    When buying one check to see if its backboned properley,if its not go to the next store.
    I purchased a bsr852 .It was the 3rd one i checked,backboned perfectly.
    I only use GLX as i believe they are the blank to beat.
    This is comparing them to other rods i have eg;Albagraph,Lamiglas,Original beastmasters,Daiwa,Calstar,Miller,P.C,Live Fibre,Samari.
    I find the E.Grell rods comparable and intend to purchase a B8 for barra soon. I have an s10 spin already. It is similar to the bsr 852 and has a stronger butt.
    These are my opions only Graham

thanks for your input grave41...last year i did extensive research into alot of rod blank companies and could not find anywhere on the CTS site about dual helix construction...hence the decision to use Hastings..maybe they have changed

as I said in previous post, IMO blanks are good but shelf rods aren't for their price point.

as far as being built to the backbone...well thats a very contentious issue and not as important as some might think!

again, just my opinions....

Thanx for all the help guy's, I think i will get a loomis.

now the problem is deciding which one to get as there are so many.. i am going to get an imx, but cant decide weather to get an SJR720IMX (6' 2-4kg) or an SJR721IMX (6' 3-5kg) im getting a 6 foot one because it will be used in my canoe, but i can not decide weather to get the lighter one or the heavier one. The rod will only be used in rivers for bass fishing, although the bass do get pretty big in this river (47cm) not your typical wild river bass. so would the heavier or lighter be more suited?

Cheers, Dave

blue-mako

Go lighter. That way you can use it for species other then Bass. A Loomis isn't going to break if you put heavier line on the 2-4kg. How heavy are you planning to fish?

Troy

i only use 6 - 8lb, i just need the guts to pull the fish out of the snags and stuff.

Love my loomis had it for years it was custom built and i have enjoyed countless cast, yep there deer, but they last, and buying cheap stuff ok is cheaper but you buy it every couple of years,so that ends up to be just as deer.
    Regards TT

Hi, Dave.
    Loomis are a great rod and the warranty is a bonus, but check out the Shikari blanks imported and built by Gary Howard. These rods are real classy and the price is reasonable.

If you can look after a graphite rod then loomis is the way to go (some fisherman shouldn't have I have a 7 year old 4kg custom made loomis which has seen 4 years in the NT and 3 years in Townsville. I only use it for lure fishing. It's is a great rod and I wish I could get another but 2 children since have limited my funds. Even though it's a 4 kg rod it has caught numerous barra up to 90cm and quite a few sharks to 6-7 foot (for some reason I can't hold back from sight casting sharks with my gold bomber no matter the size). Probably my most prized catch was a 51cm mangrove jack. If you get a loomis and can look after it, you'll never regret it.

Cheers
    Yort

Hi, If you were baitcasting the 661 IMX would be perfect for the canoe.Spinning the 842-2 gl3 or glx .I find these exceptional rods.
    IMO Graham

luress

grave41,
    I fish with a guy who says the backbone thing isnt a problem on a loomis or any other rod unless your fishing 15 kg or heavier then it is a problem
    regards gary

.lures,yes its my opion they should be backboned properly.I"ve had a spin stick twisting in my hands while fighting a fish,mind you it was a 13kg cobia but it makes one think why put extra stress on yourself and the rod blank just because of backbone alignment. Loomis do it for anything over 15kg. Why not for lower rateings,it takes 2 minutes to do at the most ,even Wilson have started doing it.
    IMO Graham

luress

Graham
    He use to say makes a huge difference on 15 kg but lighter gear didnt bother them.He and his dad had a rod building company and had done heaps of research on it but it does feel terrible a heavy stick twisting in your hand.I must admit I prefer a rod on the back-bone.But I would always listen to the pro's and cons from Bob about backbone.I have a couple of loomis's and both are perfect but these were built in Oz.
    I have a good video on loomis ,how they build there rods its very interesting.
    reagards gary

.lures
    It makes one wonder when it takes so little time to do it. Lately i have been checking out spiral wrapping and have a custom rod coming from the states spiral wrapped with gold cermets 6-12 lb ,6ft 6 baitcaster. I will let you know my feelings on it when i give a good test run.I.Miller is using it now on some barra rods.Japanese-SMITH rods have built a couple of deep jigging rods using this system.I"m keen to hear some feedback on these from anyone.
    Graham