Thread: Casting light weight Hard Bodied lures

cdenyer

Casting light weight Hard Bodied lures

Hi all, I ama big user of HB's,mostly SX40's and the Baby vipes etc, and normally troll them behind my kayak.

But........I have problems casting them more than about 15 metres when casting to structure/pylons etc, and am wondering how far I should be able to cast them.

I am using a Black Diamond Clear Cut Rod ( 2-4kg) and a Daiwa Sol reel loaded with 2kg fireline braid. I do think I have the right gear so what gives? I seem to have no trouble throwing Sp's with light jigheads (1/16), just struggle with these very light hb's. I also have the same problem with my other outfit G Loomis blank ( 2-4kg)with Shimano Stradic 1000 with same size braid.

Chris

Re: Casting light weight Hard Bodied lures

Chris ,

Check your weight lure , is it within the range of casting weight of those rods of yours ? Too light a lure may cause a short cast , way too heavy a lure may do the same .

JonLi .
    It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so .
    Mark Twain .

cdenyer

Hi Jonli,

Yes,you are more than likely right and I am not using recommended weighted lures. I am at work tonight,but will check it out in the morning when I get home.

Chris

cdenyer

My Black Diamond rod 's recommended lure weight is 1/32 to 1/4 oz.

Now who knows what an SX 40 weights?

Chris

about 3 grams from memory (1/10 ounce ish). 15 metres sounds about right. swap over to pe braid if you want to increase your casting distance. its thinner and softer so it offers less resistance.

Another idea (refer to the suspending lures posts in freshwater link), drill a small hole in lure and insert just enough water to suspend lure without sinking to fast. Cover hole with a fine gause and super glue. Creates that bit of extra weight for casting as well as the added benifit of a suspending lure..........

nabs12

Hey
    Im not sure if you want to put water into your lure.. It mite stuff up the rattles.
    I have a clearcut 1-3kg with a SOL and i reckon 15metres is a pretty decent cast. Maybe if you try a different braid. Fireline crystal has increased my casting distance by a lot.

It also could be that when the lure is being thrown it isnt facing straight which would give less distance because of aerodynamics.. Like if the lure is spinning in the air you wont get as much distance. If you get the lure to stay straight when casting, especially wit the sx-40s you will get more distance.

Cheers

Sorry to ask this silly Q's ...how do you how many meters that you had cast??? or just estimate guessing????
    I would like to find out myself too, i own a Daiwa SOL 500 match with BD CC 1-3KG rod.

cdenyer

Thanks guys,

It seems I am casting around the average, going on what you people have told me. It's for these reasons I seem to troll my SX 40's, and just cast SP's at structure etc, as with sp's I have no problem with distance casting.

Chris