Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Good Mackerel reel

Re: Good Mackerel reel

Quote Originally Posted by andy009
    chris i wasnt sayin i like the okuma egg beaters i agree they corode easily i had an okuma that coroded. i hooked a large longtail about 19 kgs and my tss4 was so hot i couldnt touch the spool and every time i wound the spool hit. so what u got to say to that. if the tss4 had a metal spool it would be the best real out there.
    I got a TSS4 & TSS3 with a metal spool
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Quote Originally Posted by lippa
    if your budjet allows, try a shimano stradic in the 6000-8000 size, you'll be impressed! ratio for 6000 stradic is 5.7:1. a tss4 is 5.8:1. so there is bugger all difference in there relative speeds.

hope this helped

lippa
    Yeah, but 20cm per crank makes a big difference when chasing macs.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Quote Originally Posted by andy009
    tss4 spools get worped to easy # get your self a spinfisher or something with a metal spool. and the tss4s line roler doesnt last long when you hook big fish like blues
    I have a couple of TSS4's , they cop plenty of ruff treatment and get the TLC a good reel deserves. Never been let down by one yet. Several of the locals went the okuma's a couple of years ago, a few went into the bin after one season.

Garry
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    [quote author=lippa link=1162508707/15#21 date=1162593652]if your budjet allows, try a shimano stradic in the 6000-8000 size, you'll be impressed! ratio for 6000 stradic is 5.7:1. a tss4 is 5.8:1. so there is bugger all difference in there relative speeds.

hope this helped

lippa
    Yeah, but 20cm per crank makes a big difference when chasing macs.[/quote]

yeah, but so does boat postion, lure selection. how fast does one wind a reel?????

I have 2 tss4s that Ive had for 10 or more years - they are both still running fine - and have caught bucket loads of good pelagics off the rocks.. but compared to some of the newer reels they are old technology and are rather clunky and the drag isnt as smooth either... I once hooked a jetskier going at full tilt - smoke was coming off the drag and melted the top screw thing... but it still goes and catches good fish - so I would highly recommend the Tss4 even tho it is old technology - back when I bought mine they were $165 on special... now you can pick them up for $130 or less. So very affordable.

I also have an Okuma epix efs80 and the 60 model they are also nice reels and havent had a problem with them yet - much smoother than the tss4s but I'm still in my first season - so time will tell. the larger spool on the efs 80 means that I get extra casting distance (and holds more line) - which is always handy and the whole reel is as smooth as silk... However they are also larger and heavier than the Tss4 so you need a rod to match - whereas Tss4 will fit on smaller rods - Efs 80 wont. Just some things to consider.

This is a good thread - keep it up.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by lippa
    [quote author=Heath link=1162508707/30#31 date=1162621288][quote author=lippa link=1162508707/15#21 date=1162593652]if your budjet allows, try a shimano stradic in the 6000-8000 size, you'll be impressed! ratio for 6000 stradic is 5.7:1. a tss4 is 5.8:1. so there is bugger all difference in there relative speeds.

hope this helped

lippa
    Yeah, but 20cm per crank makes a big difference when chasing macs.[/quote]

yeah, but so does boat postion, lure selection. how fast does one wind a reel?????[/quote]

If using a TSS4, a fair bit slower than a Stradic
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

I saw an episode of escape with E.T. a while ago and I think he was in Fiji or somewhere in the Pacific and noted that he had what looked like a TSS4 with a BTR 6500 spool on it. Was I seeing things and if I wasn't wouldn't this give you the option of a metal spool on the TSS4 and a better drag.

PlasticFantastic

Spot on Plastic Fantastic
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

can btr 6500 spools be bought as an aftermarket accessory? that would be an awesome combination with the tss4. whilst on the tss4, is it true that the older models were jap made, hence better quality, rather than the $129 dollar versions now. does it make a difference,between the two???????

spinner

lippa

i bought one only about 12 months ago and it is made in japan
    $140.00 but i think the latest ones would be better as they have the ARB bearings, or so the 2006 catalogue says.
    mine might even have the ARB `s, i havent checked it out.

Reggy

chris,
    Unfortunatel i was fishing my local pier and we get longtails in the worst weather and the gaff hit the line and snapped it off. i was using 8kg lo streatch i still got my tss4

OK. Bowed to peer group pressure, went to that mart and got 2 TSS4's. Didnt like the wobble in the wind, but I guess we'll get used to it! (NO ONE MENTIONED THAT HAPPENING!) We also got 20lb Platypus platinum. I was tempted to go for the platypus pink (yes I really am that dityzy!! #[smiley=gorgeous.gif][smiley=dizzy.gif]) to match the pink bionic braid on my TLD20!!!! For those who are unsure, yes they are made in Japan. The dude at the shop also told us that Shimano have discontinued them and once these are gone, they're GOOONE!!!!

Next question??? When do we start chasin"? [smiley=huh2.gif] [smiley=book2.gif]

Soon Jugs.. Soon

You wony be dissqapointed with the TSS4's.

Garry
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    [quote author=andy009 link=1162508707/15#28 date=1162615000]chris i wasnt sayin i like the okuma egg beaters i agree they corode easily i had an okuma that coroded. i hooked a large longtail about 19 kgs and my tss4 was so hot i couldnt touch the spool and every time i wound the spool hit. so what u got to say to that. if the tss4 had a metal spool it would be the best real out there.
    I got a TSS4 & TSS3 with a metal spool # [/quote]

OK Heath, where do we get a BTR 6500 spool, how much are they and are they worth the spend??
    Cheers
    Jugs

CHRIS_aka_GWH

Quote Originally Posted by jugs
    [quote author=Heath link=1162508707/30#30 date=1162620778][quote author=andy009 link=1162508707/15#28 date=1162615000]chris i wasnt sayin i like the okuma egg beaters i agree they corode easily i had an okuma that coroded. i hooked a large longtail about 19 kgs and my tss4 was so hot i couldnt touch the spool and every time i wound the spool hit. so what u got to say to that. if the tss4 had a metal spool it would be the best real out there.
    I got a TSS4 & TSS3 with a metal spool # [/quote]

OK Heath, where do we get a BTR 6500 spool, how much are they and are they worth the spend??
    Cheers
    Jugs[/quote]

and do they come in an anodised pink or should you try to highlight the line with a vivid azure blue spool