Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sliders - how to make

Sliders - how to make

I won't divulge precisely how the sliders I use are made other than to say thet they are made in a machine that there are only 2 of in Australia.
    The slugs are made from a combination of molten lead and white metal. Lead for weight and white metal for hardness. Anything else is not heavy enough to cast long distances as anybody who has cast Raiders into the wind would probably be aware.
    Prickly Pete's mould was made from a plaster of paris type product that was moulded around a slider he already had (made in Denmark)
    I would expect that there would be a way for it to be done that is feasible for those keen enough to make themselves.
    Please post ideas and suggestions here for everybody to view as my inbox is out of control and I will assist in any way I can. I know how much fun it is to catch fish on artificials that you have made yourself and will only encourage anglers to do so.
    Good luck Ausfishers.

Linds

Re: Sliders - how to make

These are the Sliders that I make.

slider would be easier for u and I to get together and look a marketing these little bad boys...

What are you like on a crimping tool masterdusky?
    Is a hard product to market as many fishos just can't grasp the concept (inexperience). That's why Prickly Pete never did anything with them although he sold tens of thousands of normal slugs. He knew they worked, I know they work and so do quite a few others but how do you convince people that don't have the angling instinct. The majority of tailor fishermen I've struck over the past 30 years believe that they know what they are doing when they simply don't and you can't tell them.
    Here's a good example - I was told by some tailor 'experts' several years ago, one of whom has 'legendary' status that tailor chew their way up the leader til the end up biting off above the sinker. I laughed uncontrollably for a while and stated that I doubt very much that that has ever happened and that it is other fish hitting the moving sinker. Only to be told that I was talking $hite. Many anglers simply have closed minds and believe that they know best. The same crew when I was getting 10lb tailor at Teewah in Jan - April (as I have all my life) told me that they must be resident fish. Note : there is no such thing as 'resident' migratory fish.

But I do appreciate the offer md and one day who knows - the message might just get through and a market for them created.

Linds

LOL yeah good post mate, a crimping tool..... ummm no idea... I see ur point BUT also u must consider the fact that todays market is growing stronger and stronger in regards to artificial baits/lure fishing. keep it in mind and if you want a sales rep/production assistant just shoot me a PM....

The funny thing is the more I look at these lures the striking resemblance to a couple an old mate of mine machined...yes machined up for me on the NSW central coast..Ill try and post a pic.....

In the long term I would definitely like for them to be a marketable product and progress is certainly being made md. You are right about the overall shift towards artificials and the market place is a growing one. Really as much as anything requires somebody to take it by s and c's and get out there with them. We'll talk further.

Might have found me a part time job on the side

You dont need to crimp the hooks on you can attach them directly to a split ring. That way you can change hook sizes. There is a not that you can use to tie plastic coated wire without kinking it.

Might help

Cheers Rod

I was thinking of the barrel sinker method, but it would be hard to get them to swim any good like a bought lure.

Hey Slider
    Give me a yell if you want to get rid of a few
    Probably got a market for them right now!!

Regards, Tony

CHRIS_aka_GWH

Quote Originally Posted by mjc85
    I was thinking of the barrel sinker method, but it would be hard to get them to swim any good like a bought lure.
    the "swim" doesn't matter - its the plop, the glitz & the fizz that get tailor.

Quote Originally Posted by flickflack
    You dont need to crimp the hooks on you can attach them directly to a split ring. That way you can change hook sizes. There is a not that you can use to tie plastic coated wire without kinking it.

Might help

Cheers Rod
    the problem with single starnd is that it isn't flexible like multi, the flex in the multi strand aids in the action, while also you may find the with single strand if it does kink when a fish hits it, it'll stop the lure sliding properly.

While a split ring is a good idea, you'll be hard pressed to find hooks with eyes big enough to allow them to swing freely when back to backed, I have found this after modifying a couple of spanyid 40's.

Quote Originally Posted by aussie_stu

While a split ring is a good idea, you'll be hard pressed to find hooks with eyes big enough to allow them to swing freely when back to backed, I have found this after modifying a couple of spanyid 40's.
    Have a look at the "tru-turn" hooks for this purpose

Flickflack - do you mean the Flemish Eye? If so, I think it still needs a crimp

Tony

Slider
    how can I get a few of your product??
    rando