Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Favourite heavy surf reel

CHRIS_aka_GWH

Re: Favourite heavy surf reel

ohhhh we must have alvey v overhead v [s]chick-shit[/s] errr eggbeater challenge in the coming year on the beach of south straddie - i'll provide the taxi - an allnighter - we'll see whose reels stick the distance.

chris

spinning reel and stright 8 lbs braid with 75 grams of weight in a distance comp left all overs for dead 239 mts ,there 3 sorts of reels ,
    the dogs dish
    dog stuffer
    and overheads
    all 3 cast well when set up right ,
    HST

but HST, don't the Alvey reels hold the world records for distance casting, as it says on all their catalogues. or maybe it's been broken recently

they dont even come close to todays records , all the really big cast are with overheads 99 % Abus, converted Ultra mags XL 2 or 3's 6500 ct or 5500 ,the biggest cast and the holder of most of the world records were set with Abu 6600w and a Century Rod ,there was a big comp a few month back in England with most of the top casters in the world took part in .Australian caster Scott Selby took out 3 out right ,this link may help .
    http://uksf.sea-angler.org/results/2006plc.html

CHRIS_aka_GWH

meanwhile back at home ...

hey sweetie,

me 'n the boys gunna go out and catch ourselves some ... errrr.... distance
    #.

chris

ps the offer is on the cards boys - Alvey Crew v the Rest on a beach not an oval.

I reckon the wolf & spindles would be in ...

make sure you dont exceed your bag limit on them .

CHRIS_aka_GWH

Quote Originally Posted by HST
    make sure you dont exceed your bag limit on them #.
    metres or fish ?

i'm doing this tongue in cheek - guys. I totally respect the awesome achievements of competition casters.

I also respect the rights of girlie men to using shiny fag eggbeaters in the surf.

I am serious though about a surf meeting where we get to see the others in action - we all might learn a few things.

this is what shiny fag eggbeaters look like for those that have not seen any .

HST

Hey HST, what sort of reels have you got there?
    Any info, please?
    Look kind of nice.............kind of scared to think what they cost.
    Guess they have to live in the closet lol!

they are Daiwia Surf Z45C i use them in casting comps ,
    you have to be a girlie man to use them as they only weigh 390 grams with 14 ball bearings ,put them on a top shelf jap rod that weighs 400 grams with a length of 4.25 mts #that will out pull and out cast anything you could find in Australia .us girlie men cant hold rods and reels that weigh more than 790 grams hours on end .

Crikey HST!! According to some, i am a girlie-man too. I would love to get my hands on one of those Daiwa's. How many weeks wages are they worth?
    Also, How practical is a distance casting outfit for actuallt catching fish out of the surf???

I am intrigued

Damo
    Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. But ,flogging him into submission will result in him taking up crabbing.... and once he gets a taste of that sh*t, well, he may never return again.

BTW Chris, your beach fishing/ casting/ comparison weekend sounds good - what sort of taxi have you got?? May be a goer with enough interest? Kegs anyone??

Damo
    Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. But ,flogging him into submission will result in him taking up crabbing.... and once he gets a taste of that sh*t, well, he may never return again.

spinner

Chris darling,
    I couldn`t possibly take up your offer to do something so macho.besides, I`m sure I have some skirts to iron that night.

Seriously mate, I`ve done it all before and I have nothing to prove to anyone.
    I know the Alveys are the toughest in the surf, SO WHAT?
    Why would I want to stand out in the surf all night, I`ve got better things to do.
    Fishing is not an endurance contest for me.

Now, I have to get back to painting my fingernails,...wink wink

Reggy

How practical is a distance casting outfit for actuallt catching fish out of the surf

what comes from this is when setting up a rod #you can buy some easy yards in distance thru technology with spinning reels and alveys ,there is no easy way to buy distance with overheads ,that's timing and tencquine with lots of work in putting it all together ,
    my tailor stick i use with 60 A alvey and 15 to 20 lbs mono is much the same as what i use with a spinning reel down low and braid ,both fish just as well as each other with the spinning reel been better into head winds ,the blank that Ive built them on is a Blue Marlin 400/4 made up they can be as lite 350 grams . so with such light and powerful blank that has a very good fishing tip you are already winning when you put a Alvey on it .

I take it that rod you are talking about (marlin 400/4) is only a 4 wrap HST?? Seems a little light to chase tailor. Prob carbon though, didn't realise it made that much diff. At 4 mtres too. Man, that is a wand.