Thread: Xmas eggbeater for 5yr old

Xmas eggbeater for 5yr old

Hi guys,
    Bit late I know but I,ll have to run into town tomorrow and grab a rod and reel for my little fella for Xmas.Not had much to do with threadline reels before,but I am after something decent for him to learn on.Most fishing is from the boat for trout and other reef species and also spotties in season.So it will have to be able to handle 20kg line.Was looking in the catalogue from the local tackle store at there specials.
    For
    around the $200 mark they have penn spinfisher,shimano baitrunner and symetre spin combos.
    For around the $100 mark they have penn elite,shakespeare ugly stik and shimano alivio combos.
    My question is -Is it worth it to buy the $200 combos or are the $100 combos OK?

Cheers and merry Xmas to all

Scott
    What would you buy? And why?

bidkev

Re: Xmas eggbeater for 5yr old

I have a Penn elite and it seems ok. Also look at the Fin Nor reels that A Fart are knocking out cheaply and at that price you could marry it to an ugly stick.

kev

GO THE PENN SPINFISHER COMBO, IT IS TUFF AS GUTS, VERRY SMOOTH AND WILL LAST ALL THE PUNISHMENT A 5 YEAR OLD CAN DISH OUT
    figjam :wink:

Hey Nuggstar,
    The spinfisher would be my choice. Unfortunately my little 5yr old monster has the ability to destroy almost anything.The thought of a spinfisher combo being stepped on and broken or launched overboard whilst distracted would be hard to bear.
    Kev,
    The elite or similar would be preferable if the above fate were to occur.

Cheers Scott

NeilD

Maybe downgrade the outfit for a 5 y o. I struggle to pull the kinks out of a 20 kg threadline outfit. Why not get a well balanced 6 - 10 kg rig that will do the job on most fish and leave the XOS for later. Most kids will have a ball just catching the smaller stuff

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil,
    Appreciate what your saying and Iwould agree if it was mainly spotties we fished for.However,with fishing the reefs and bommies up here,the few times I've used my barra outfit,I've spent more time re-rigging than fishing.Very snaggy bottom and coral trout know how to use it.

Cheers Scott

hmmmmm,
    Went in to buy an eggbeater,came home with a shimano charter special.At least the little fella will learn at an early age the joys of overheads and overruns.

Cheers Scott

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly
    hmmmmm,
    Went in to buy an eggbeater,came home with a shimano charter special.At least the little fella will learn at an early age the joys of overheads and overruns.

Cheers Scott

C'm on buggerlugs.............admit that you got it for yourself

kev

nah Kev,no way man.
    Probobly just use it from time to time to keep it in good running order(for the little takka,you know)

cheers Scott

mate the charter special was my first overhead i got with my own pocket money when i was 13 years old in darwin, it was awsome, i had it on a custom made wilson 6-8kg barra rod i got from a shop in darwin to ( gun n tackle) but i think thay closed down, any way the rod and reel stood up to lots and lots of big macks and gt,s and queenies fishing at mandora (top place) i had it for 6 years and then some mongrel nicked it. it is tuffernuff for a 5 year old good stuff, i hope he likes it
    figjam :wink:

yeah Nuggstar,
    He is going to love it, I'm sure.It'll take a bit of getting used to,particualarly free spooling to the bottom.But as you found it's a good reel and one that should stand up to many years of use if he looks after it(and no one nicks it).

# #Cheers scott