Thread: Favourite heavy surf reel

CHRIS_aka_GWH

Re: Favourite heavy surf reel

Quote Originally Posted by HST
    i have more Alveys than Abu's #,HST

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark

thats impressive !

In the pursuit of catching fish, I have never found it necessary or even helpful to throw a hand ful of wet sand over my reel, or to submerge it under water.

Reggy maate! Don't tell me that when surf fishing up to your balls in swirling sandy water and 20 knot southeaster you never get tip wrapped! With an Alvey you just put her down in the suds, clear up the tip and cast out again. You've usually bagged a few tailor while the blokes with the fiddly reels run for the rod holders up the beach.

If ya canna spear em, ya can jag em on a line.

I dunno...all these technical arguments...and you have all missed the point!!

Alvey because that's what real beer drinkers use!! haha!! You see afta the third carton....all those little leavers and windy bits get real hard to use!! The mighty Alvey on the other hand....Well you work it out!!!

Stumblerounds unit!!!!

Overheads and Spin off the beach? Sure you can do it but why would you bother,I don't care how carefull you are the reel is going to get sand and salt water ingress in a big way and this in turn is going to mean some serious maintenance after each trip (unless offcourse you are the daytime/good weather only type beach fisherman),not such a big drama if your into the whole pull down put back together thing but if your not it's going to cost.I always try and steer people to an Alvey combo if they come in wanting to "get serious about beach fishing",some listen,the others just help to pay my wages.

spinner

Nigel R
    Thanks for starting this post, great stuff!

Chris
    You say that it is an interesting mindset that thinks that a more complicated, less durable product is a better solution. I agree that , overheads are more complicated and less durable and that the Alvey is purpose built for this application.However, I never said that overheads were a BETTER solution.
    I fished with Alveys for years and years and just grew bored with them, so moved on to something a little more sophisticated and interesting. I still have a couple of Alveys here for kids who visit me and want to catch a whiting or2.

The question at the start of this topic was WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE SURF REEL, not what is the most effective.

Tuskie
    You must waste a lot of time fishing in a 20 knt soueaster.
    My surf rod is 10 ft long, dont need or like anything longer.and because my reel doesn`t weigh
    a lot, I pull the rod back under my arm to untangle tip wraps. Dont use a rod holder.
    Reggy

HEY HST.

YOu dont have an old baitcaster you would like to sell would you?

Cheers

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by _Dan_
    HEY HST.

YOu dont have an old baitcaster you would like to sell would you?

Cheers

Dan

If he doesn't, i am sure that he could be diagnosed with something
    Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. But ,flogging him into submission will result in him taking up crabbing.... and once he gets a taste of that sh*t, well, he may never return again.

they might be old but they are all new and either been built for tournament casting or waiting to be converted,

Gotta say HST, some of those look a million dollars - you look after your gear!

Damo
    Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. But ,flogging him into submission will result in him taking up crabbing.... and once he gets a taste of that sh*t, well, he may never return again.

Hi HST.
    Between you and Reggy, some beautiful reels, show how well you look after them!
    Give me something to aspire to, should I ever grow bored with my own gear! Thanks for the pics!
    Cheers Nigel.

If ive got to use my balls as shark bait while trying to catch tailor ill give up fishing.
    Chris, have you used a custom roberts wrap rod yet. It doesent twist using an overhead.
    Try something different you might be surprised.
    HST; awesome collection of magged reels.
    Graham

CHRIS_aka_GWH

Quote Originally Posted by grave41

Chris, have you used a custom roberts wrap rod yet. It doesent twist using an overhead.
    Try something different you might be surprised.

# # Graham
    i haven't graham I'll have to look around. The comfortable position and control you have using an offshore alvey will be hard to top though.

chris

I love my Alvey 6500BCV RR

First one i have owned and only for about 1.5 years now. I would never go back to eggbeaters for surf fishing.

My mates hate me cause i wash it in the surf to get the sand off and they all have eggbeaters; they are very jealous

MY favourite surf reel is an Alvey 650grbc.
    Yes its a bit on the heavy side so what? were men , not sheilas,
    Now get out there and get some fish
    rando

spinner

I`m glad you guys can still get as much enjoyment from your Alveys as I do with my overheads. MERRY CHRISTMAS
    Reggy