Thread: which downrigger to buy!

which downrigger to buy!

Hey guys,

Time for another one of my dumb questions. I now have a boat large enough to make it out to a little reef just off Agnes that is known for producing cobes amongst other things. I have always been interested in downrigger livies and now have the boat that may actually warrant one. So if I go to the bassermillyard site and look at their range of scotty downriggers my head explodes and my wife has to clean up the mess. Luckily I grow a new head each time this happens.

I am also interested in possibly towing lures with this outfit deep in Awoonga for barra as well. I have heard this opens up possibilities when the fish are holding deep and shut down everywhere else etc.

Any ideas of a good model that may be handle both applications and not cost an arm and a leg? I wouldn't mind a depth counter on it I spose but don't need it to be electric and be able to do calculus.

What is everybody using and happy with or wished they had spent the extra on etc?

Cheers for any feedback
    Mark

Re: which downrigger to buy!

Not that I own any D/Riggers, or have used any... I have heard people swear by Cannon D/Riggers... Check them out if you havnt done so mate.
    TT

penn/jarviswalker do a range within reach of the common man as well
    cheers swano

a cannon sports troll.they are now getting alot cheaper and you should get change from $350 or get one from the states and save prolly $100 if budget is tight.

make sure you get a metric one if you like to work in meters

cheers scotty

This is what I have and where I got it from...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...gger&noImage=0

I have just done the $ conversion on what it would cost in Aussie $ now delivered to your door.

It comes to $207.11.

Mine is great and so was the buying experience from Cabelas.

Thanks for that guys.

Is that your canon in your avatar pic background Scotty? If so have you got any pics of it up close on ya boat I could have a sticky at?

Same for you Charleville, any pics of you Scotty set up? I was originally thinking the Scotty coz I have a couple of Powerlocks on my boat already and was wondering if the downrigger would click into the base for them. Now on closer inspection of the bottoms of them it appears only the little Lake troller by scotty goes into these, I think...

Anybody trolled any lures with these bigger models in freshwater impoundments for barra though?

Oh yeah, one more for you Charleville. In that pic of the 1050 it seems to have a rod holder built onto the bar that holds out the weight. Do you actually use that rod holder? I only ask coz it doesn't look sturdy enough to put a big outfit with a TLD in that's all.

hey mark

you can go to the cannon web site and have a look at everything
    its www.cannondownriggers.com {sorry dont know how to attach}
    also BLA are the aussie agents and they should be able to tell you your nearest agents.Iknow sundown marine had them on special.

cheers scotty

Try looking at the Walker Downriggers. Apparently they are the best according to mates of mine. Made in metal not plastic like scotty and cannon. Have a look at www.flybridge.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by themooks
    Hey guys,

Time for another one of my dumb questions. #I now have a boat large enough to make it out to a little reef just off Agnes that is known for producing cobes amongst other things. #I have always been interested in downrigger livies and now have the boat that may actually warrant one. #So if I go to the bassermillyard site and look at their range of scotty downriggers my head explodes and my wife has to clean up the mess. #Luckily I grow a new head each time this happens.

I am also interested in possibly towing lures with this outfit deep in Awoonga for barra as well. #I have heard this opens up possibilities when the fish are holding deep and shut down everywhere else etc. #

Any ideas of a good model that may be handle both applications and not cost an arm and a leg? #I wouldn't mind a depth counter on it I spose but don't need it to be electric and be able to do calculus.

What is everybody using and happy with or wished they had spent the extra on etc?

Cheers for any feedback
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by themooks
    Same for you Charleville, any pics of you Scotty set up? #I was originally thinking the Scotty coz I have a couple of Powerlocks on my boat already and was wondering if the downrigger would click into the base for them. #Now on closer inspection of the bottoms of them it appears only the little Lake troller by scotty goes into these, #I think...
    Oh yeah, one more for you Charleville. #In that pic of the 1050 it seems to have a rod holder built onto the bar that holds out the weight. #Do you actually use that rod holder? #I only ask coz it doesn't look sturdy enough to put a big outfit with a TLD in that's all.

Here ya go - pics below.

The rod holder would not be suitable for a TLD as it does not have the cross bar at the bottom to fit an O/H rod base into. #OK for egg beaters.

As you can see from the pix, the real estate at the rear corner of my boat is at a premium when you mount a DR as you need room for the DR brake handle to fit in the space next to the rear bollard. #That means that the DR base has to fit snug up against the built in rod holder on the boat which means that once the DR is sitting in its cradle, that rod holder cannot be used. #OK when the DR is not in its cradle though.

I have just bought a two speed Tyrnos and there is no way that I would think of putting a heavy reel like that in the rod holder integral in the DR and which sits over the water. #I have still to work out how best to mount a rod holder to handle the Tyrnos inside the confines of the boat.

The integral rod holder is solid enough though. #It is held on the DR arm by a screw that goes though a hole in the DR arm. #It is adjustable up and down.

I hope that this helps.