Thread: Weipa wanderings

Weipa wanderings

Weipa
    We’ll the place is as good as they say!
    Only spent two days there and didn’t have a boat, so I walked the banks and waded the flats….
    Heaps of bait fish every where and every morning you could walk down to the beach and pull heaps of small queenies, trevs on fly.
    Heaps of big salmon going off in the mission river at rocky point on the incoming tides every day, but the buggers just had too much bait around them and it was extremely frustrating, live prawns are the pick bait.
    Everyone found plenty of barra up the creeks, most are small fellas around the 45 cm to 60 cm range ( not to forget that the legal size of barra in the gulf are 60cm)….I managed to drop a nice barra around the 14lb mark at my feet after sight casting to the fish off the flats and then playing it for the next 10 minutes, put a really good bend in the 8/9 weight. A mate took some photo’s of the barra while it was tail walking, so I hope they turn out alright…
    Sharks and fish where smashing bait everywhere.
    And I got the chance to added another species to the fly rod…..a coral trout.
    There was heaps of other fish around that we didn’t even bother targeting, like big schools of pikey bream, blubber lips and jacks.
    Now I’m trying to work out how I can get back there….
    It’s great to see the sunset on the water for a change…..beautifully sunsets and sun rises every day with morning offshore winds that made the gulf like a pond…..Fishermans paradise ..

Steve O

Re: Weipa wanderings

Steve,

I hope the warmer weather will get the big mother Barra going. I'm off up there in october(Only about 30 sleeps) to spend a week on a mothership.

I've heard good things about Weipa, I hope the weather co-operates.

Isn't there boat hire up there???

I can hardly wait!!!!

Wes

Wes there is about 4 places up there that does boat hire, but every single one was booked out for the comp.....They have over 700 entries into the comp "Weipa fishing challenge".

we did pretty good from the flat up from evans landing.....
    The place is huge ,need a couple of weeks up there just to really suss the joint out........
    Cheers Steve Ooi

Brett_Finger

Poon.
    Mate that explaines were you went on mon when we came to bring the paper back!
    still have it
    everything went good on the trip down and we arrived safe and sound.
    look after the barra for me and i'll see ya in a couple of mounths time maaaaaate!
    Hookin, Brett

Steve & Wesley.

If you ever get the chance to fish the comp then it is a lot of fun. All up the total number of entries, senior + junior, for 2001 pushed over 1000 anglers.

A great turn out for a small town and well organised by the Cape Care group.