Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Coomera Jack

Brett_Finger

Re: Coomera Jack

Andrew is away with work (DPI) i wam awaiting his return and will start a new post in saltwater with some "jack facts".
    Hookin,Brett

Quote Originally Posted by BOMBER
    Hey Gazza,

Completely lost me there with your reply re bycatch and the sky is falling remark . Pretty easy to #understand to me but obviously not for some.

Regards,
    THE BOMBER
    Mate ,I don't understand whitch bits you don't understand from 2 lines of my typing ,whitch bits?

Maybe !st. line is an old persons analogy , that young persons haven't ever read or been taught the 'story' #??? #
    2nd. line is just straight shooting from the hip ?

=================================
    7:36am on 7th Nov » #Quote #Modify #Remove #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    on 6:42am on 7th Nov, BOMBER wrote:Hi All,

I don't believe there is any cut and dry right or wrong here, only time will tell. If the so called Meatos are right and they place no impact on the saltwater fishery sensational plenty of saltwater species for everyone to eat or return to the briny stuff. If their wrong Oh well thank god for the stocked impoundment scheme, means we will always have something to catch from Yellowbelly to Barra.

Regards,

THE BOMBER #

Line 1: The sky is falling ,the sky is falling #
    Line 2: Mate ,I'd be "more" concerned about bycatch in Estuary TRAWLING #

this question is a bit weird but l was just wondering if anyone out there can tell me why it is jacks have pear shaped pupils as opposed to most fish like barra which have the classic round pupil . thought it might be connected to there style of attact .

G'day Brett, back again.

I think you'll find that Andrew is no longer working for the DPI. He now holds an position with Natural Resources and Mines. He's slippery to catch and pin down. I think he's going away again soon so you may have to be quick!! I saw a presentation from him regarding the jack throughout QLD. Does good job

Cheers, zedjack33

Without sounding like a commercial post , working at the Coomera river bait and tackle we get a pretty good idea on the amounts of jacks being caught out of the Coomera river.
    And the Coomera is one of the better rivers for Jacks , last night saw a few landed , and one of the local guys got his first , he told us they where boofing left right and centre all around him ,and lost two before bagging one... .
    Quite a few big fish have come from the river in the last months with a few up around the 70 cm mark, and plenty in the 50-60 cm size, Scales fish would have to be the biggest so far this year , I have heard a report of a local gun catching a bigger one , but i think it was last year , will try to find out details and see if i can source a pic for those interested.
    Another local customer of ours caught more than 30 plus legal size jacks last summer (and who knows how many busted him off), but he released a fair percentage of them and kept a fair share for the table. just proving that for those in the know good number can be found.
    Some have even resorted to using 100lb mono leaders 50 lb + braid on large overheads to try to stop some of the unstoppables..Not my reccommend setup for them but when it comes down to "Do or Die" methods of turning heads you can't argue, they may have point.
    One Gold Coast resident that lives on a canal even hand feeds jacks from his backyard , he has about seven regular jacks ( arond the 50 cm mark) that turn up every day for a feed ,along with hundreds of bream and a few cod. He's been feeding them every day for the past couple of years and swears the jacks are regulars.
    Don't even ask, No i'm not going to give his address out.

While being mainly a catch and release man myself ,I have no problem with others taking fish and i'm more than happy to put people onto fish.
    The only change i would like to see is a bag limit of 2-3 fish placed on jacks.

Poony

Good comment steve. I am in a similar position to yourself when it comes to seeing how many fish can be caught by those in the know, and you would be very hard pressed to convince me that jacks are an endangered species. Having said that we dont want to make them an endangered species either. I agree whole heartedly that its about time a bag limit of 2 or 3 fish per person should be introduced to stop those who tend to go a bit overboard. In certain conditions at certain times of the year the jacks can be all to easy to catch so a bag limit would be the way to go. Perhaps a bit more research is also needed to determine the size at which they breed so that they get a fair chance to do so before being caught.
    agnes_jack

Hi Steve, Not that we would go to the extent of using 100lb line, but some of the areas we target, is very unforgiving on gear,
    We know their there, you just can get the critter out, 10 seconds and she all over.
    But we keep trying, and have some fun doing it. Some of the hits you get there are mind blowing, so i reckon theres some bigger critters down there, but there home is like fort knox.
    And these blokes with take anything bait wise, theres also some big cod roaming that river, pockets caught one last week and he was land based the night in question.
    regards

Wow nice fish. Hear the Japanese are going for the minkie whales(for research purposes???). Probably be more worried about that. Question for Jaybee?? What are the chances of landing a bigger trophy jack than that in the Coomera. The man's been trying for 4 years. They keep them bigger off the reefs than that anyway. Good luck to you-the bugger has probably cost you a fortune in tackle,bait and fuel anyway. My question is should you really be catching to release or just catch yourself something to eat and head home with no more damage done? Can someone tell me emphatically catch and release does no harm either??

Very good point Luke. If we start on that one, we are going to open one hell of a can of worms though. But i dont think anyone can possibly say that they know for sure that all or even most of thier released fish survive unharmed. If someone releases say 10 fish in a session, and one of those happens to die, wouldnt one consider that far more damaging and wasteful than going out to catch a feed of say 2 fish and then leaving the rest unmolested?? I have heard it said that if your only goal is to go out and bother fish then one should get a better hobbie. My personal thing is that I go fishing for the challenge of putting together all my past experiences trying to work out why I can catch a fish today and not tommorrow, how I can improve my tactics to achieve better results. Always striving for that bigger fish or another species. At the same time I love to bring home a nice healthy meal of fresh fish for my family. So I guess I would have to consider myself a fish botherer who enjoys a feed. I certainly release a lot more fish than I keep but if I was really thinking of the welfare of the fish I would have to give up fishing to sleep at night. Guess I cant have my cake and eat it too. Whichever way you look at it the morality of either side is questionable and the whole thing comes down to a personal choice. All I know is I absolutely love my fishing and the outdoor experiences it brings me, and right wrong or indiferent Im gunna do it to the day I die. Each to his own.
    agnes_jack

got off early and im going jack fishing