Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Coomera Jack

Re: Coomera Jack

Great fish there webby!!!....All these guys cant tell me they havent kept a great fish like that one of any species!!....If so theyre lying out there a??holes ......Jealousy gets you nowhere guys!!!....That fish wouldnt have gone back if i caught it and 99.9% of anyone else wouldnt have put it back!!....Didnt know fishing fishing changed its name to catch and release every fish you catch!!....

DaneCross

I agree bazzaman, great fish guys, it would've been on my dinner plate if only i could've caught something that decent! Well done [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I reckon it`s up to the individual. If by law you can take it home, fine. However, personally, I will never kill a big breeder. My choice, but I think I do this because I have taken the time to find out just how important big breeders are to the esturine systems. Jacks in particular are an important species to be preserving. Gladstone Hatchery have been carrying out some important research into breeding Jacks for impoundments (freshwater) and until they are commercially available to stocking groups and established in our dams, I will continue to do my part to release the big girls back into the system.
    Same for big flathead.

My 2 bobs worth on the subject.

Randall.

Ausfish Addict

I have to agree with what webby said to a certain extent, we are all entitled to a trophy fish, however, what if the next fish is bigger again, do you keep it because its a trophy, or photo an release ??? boils down the conscience, and if you can live with it, Like, if you did catch a bigger fish, kept and lied here, or photo and released, hey you have to live with it. Not much good being on here saying you do when you don't, so how is your conscience, I know i can sleep at night
    cheers
    Joe

Its a good fish in anyones language.
    I like lots of other fishos would probably photoed it and put it back but whats to say that that big jack is a girl????? Do they change like the flathead???
    Could be a big boy?? if its a boy there should be a size relative girl there somewhere. money for thought??
    then it realy gets ughly

Guys, is it really wrong to take one large fish, that will feed you for a while, rather than take a heap of small fish that haven't yet had the chance to breed??? Anyhow, it's a great catch, no one can dispute that. And yes, i believe as long as it isn't breaking the law, it is up to the individual. Most anglers do the right thing MOST of the time.

Southwind SF20 'Piscatoreous'
    Savage 14ft tinny "About Time'

WELL SAID DAN!!...ILL SECOND THAT RESPONSE!!

I've had about a dozen very serious trips targeting Jacks over the last 2 or 3 years and we are yet to get one in the boat. Fished a lot of perfect country in the Nerang River and Currumbin Creek, even did a Charter with Brad Smith.
    I have all the good oil marked down in my "Beacon to Beacon", I would say i've spent more time talking and swapping info on Mangrove Jacks than I have on any other fish.
    I once hooked one off the back of a houseboat while moored in Sanctuary Cove, I made the mistake of calling it a Bream and handed the rod over to one of the other guys to reel in. Boy was I gobbsmacked when a jack thrashed it's way to the surface.

Maybe this season I can break the duck ??

Hmm, will I let it go or keep it ??? ???

Cheers
    Craig.

Congratulations Skales.

As for big breeders, well, there's plenty of big jack fillets in the local fish shops at the moment for $8/kg.

I also reckon a jack would grow to 80cm in less than 10 yrs given reasonable food. What about kilo bream?

The continuing dispute between the law and individuals ethics/morals which has been debated here before.

I have heard a theory that good law should reflect the morals of the society.

Assuming the replies to this post are a representative sample you could mount an argument to say perhaps a change in the law would be supported and be more reflective of the majority moral view.

Food for thought.

Regards

Cubesy

P.S. I just hope one day I am faced with the decision to keep or release a fish like that. Until I am in that position it is not fair for me to say what I would or wouldn't do.

aquarius

Hi Folks.....I have not had the pleasure of catching a mangrove jack (yet) but i know for certain when i do its going into the pan.......Everybody tells me they taste GREAT.
    If i was living in the tropics where jacks are common it may be a different story.
    Good fish there Scales....hope you enjoyed the feed mate.
    My moto..take enough for a feed and release the rest.
    Cheers #Brent

Webby, sounds like there's some green eyed monsters lurking!!! The day you MASTER catchin jack's that size I know you would release, just cause some peoples dream hasn't become reality the old sour grapes syndrome kicks in. What about OS size fish in seafood shop windows wth cloudy, sunken eyes destined for cat food, trawlers dead by-catch,etc,etc. Let's all sell our rigs, become vegetarians and live on the Little House On The Prairie!!!! . regards, Darrren Allniter.

Brett_Finger

Quote Originally Posted by fishtime
    Congratulations Skales.

As for big breeders, well, there's plenty of big jack fillets in the local fish shops at the moment for $8/kg.

I also reckon a jack would grow to 80cm in less than 10 yrs given reasonable food. #What about kilo bream?
    WRONG !!!

and on another note,
    i am supprised at how many meato's there are actually out there,keep the comments comeing fellas this is becomeing an intresting topic.
    Hookin,Brett

I have no idea wether I would have released it or not - having never caught a fish as good as that I think that catch and release is a personal decision and should be up to the individual. I usually make a decision before I go as to wether the trip is for a feed or for sport.

It also seems pretty obvious that every fisho goes through an evolution in regard to what is an 'acceptable' way to conduct yourself. I like to keep a feed but not a freezer full.

hmm thinking about it - If I was out by myself and caught a big fish, I would probably take a photo and release - but If I had the family or freinds coming round the next day for a barbie - I would definitely keep it. Not only would the fish not go to waste, but I would be able to show off to everyone!

After a few more years of fishing and the better I understand my environment, perhaps I will change my opinion again, but like I said - each to his own and congratulations Skales - awesome fish!

Cheers
    Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by fishtime
    there's plenty of big jack fillets in the local fish shops at the moment for $8/kg.
    I thought it was like a law that you couldn't sell Jack because of confusion with Red Bass or something???

Cheers, Lachie