Thread: Looking for Advice - Causeway Yeppoon

Needmorerum

Looking for Advice - Causeway Yeppoon

Heading up to the Causeway (Yeppoon QLD) this weekend (14th), anyone got any ideas on where to go, what to do? Taking 4m tinnie up, have no plans at this stage until we get there.
    Any suggestions would be great, got to get away as the fishing's got to be better than the creeks and rivers around Gladstone.

Re: Looking for Advice - Causeway Yeppoon

hehe. causeway and fish = 0. hehehehe. well. it's preety good on the runthrough. as for fishing in a boat in the causeway WATCH THE DEPTH. it's bloody shallow in there.

i only just got my boat on sunday so i haevn't had a chance to get fishing in the back of the creeks. i'll get there real soon though.

my guess is take ya castnet find some prawns at the back creeks and throw them in as live baits under floats around the edges of mangroves. might get a jack or barra.

good luck... plz let me know how you went and where you went.. thanks.

Hardcore,

Here are a couple of spots

Kinka beach , from the road entrance, at the end of coolwaters esplanade. Is dirt track that takes you to the water.
    If you go there at low tide you can pump your yabbies in the creek bed at low tide. Then come back on the incoming tide. And fish the holes on the flats for bream , flathead and whitting being the predominate catch. There is some good elbow slappers in this area. Water height is thigh high in the holes so don’t get so concerned.

The causeway - In winter is very slow, but if you stand on the bridge and fish the left hand side of the bridge facing the lake side with a live prawn under a float with a metre drop, you should land yourself a barra. The prawns will be under your feet. All you need is a flashlight and a scoop net. a cast net thrown around the rocks, will account for herring which will be good for the jacks, pike and the odd fingermark. Late at night is best later the better.

The mouth of Ross creek “tip of the rock groin” is a lottery ticket, be prepared for anything but use live bait. Fish the top of the tide an hour either side. Flathead and Blue Salmon will be your main Catches.

I hope you enjoy the place [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Ray

CQ_Fisher

Harcorr,

Corio Bay/Fishing & Waterpark Creek would probably be worth a look this weekend, tides arent real big so there will not be that much run up there. Put in at Corbett's Landing in Byfield and head right towards Corio Bay. This time of year you'll get jacks, barra & grunter. You will need a 4wd or vehicle with a decent clearence to get to the boat ramp as the road is pretty ordinary. Let us all know how you go.

Needmorerum

Sorry Guys, didn't end up at Yeppoon, ended up trying out the Fitzroy, Launched the boat from the ramp in behind Australian Meatworks, went down the river, tried the rock walls along the way, no luck, got down to Pirate Point, being a virgin to the river didn't make it easy, we had no luck here and ended up heading up river, got to the road bridge and had a go here, then moved back to some of the jetties along the river bank until we got back to the boat ramp at around 8.00pm. Our whole day ended up being for 4 catfish ranging in size from 3" to 10". Any help on this river would be good, for at the moment I will not be going back. Not sure if it was normal, but the water was filthy and you could here the difference between it and clear water. I took a couple of new lures to try and when seeing how they swam beside the boat, they were out of sight in 2" of water.
    On a good note, Sunday saw us out to Rat Island in the North Entrance of Gladstone Harbour and picking up a beautiful Blue Bone. Just finished having it for dinner and Oh what a feeling. If anyone can give us some pointers on the Gladstone area, or the Fitsroy, this would be good.
    I know that next time I won't change my mind on the highway, maybe if I had of stuck to the original plan it might have been a better trip.

Hope other had better luck over the weekend.
    Cheers
    Corry

now isn't the time for the fitzroy. especially because they have the barrage gates open.. big no no. you have to be at the mouth of the river to catch fish.

you would have had better luck at the causeway.