Thread: "Reef Bashing off Cairns - 12/4/04

"Reef Bashing off Cairns - 12/4/04

What a day...

Departed from "Pigs Pen" Boatramp at 2am this morning in the hope of some ripper reefies.Went out early so i could get into the nannygai and reds then at sunup go and hit the trout and others.....Got to Spot "x" at around 3ish and took bout 10 mins to anchor up correctly on my own since cHiCo unfortuanently couldnt join me.Its a small reef in the middle of nowhere in about 50-60m of water!!Once i got it in the spot i dropped down my first line,Within a minute the hand line went off and almost cut my hand in half,double-header!big nannygai around 80-90cm! That kept up for another hour,landed 21 legal nannygai and 2 big red's!Once the moon faded away and the sun came in i headed to bat reef,stayed there for about hour and a half and got a couple of trout All legal,then went to nearby tongue reef and hooked into some more trout 9 in total all decent size! Mixed in with those about 10-15 stripies couple of lipper(grassy sweetlip)sweetlip,spangleds and one big maori wrass!! all in all it was a great days fishing, despite the master of reef bashing "cHiCo" not being able to make it.The trip got cut a bit short sine the wind picked up and i arrived back home at around 1pm.

Now ive got a feed for parents,relly's,mates and for me for a couple of weeks!
    Look forward 2 hearing from the rest of u guys bout ur trip!

Cheers
    Liam

matthewhill

Re: "Reef Bashing off Cairns - 12/4/04

bloody showoff . just jokes sounds like the sort of day us "southerners" only dream about. must be really hard for you fellas up there

Yeah mate thats how it is up here.....macky season is just around the corner!! there will b mackeral galore here as there is every season!!
    Cheers mate
    Liam

matthewhill

dammit

geesemate, would be bloody rapped with that effort
    good to see ya got some good fish mate
    Cheers Mick

onya liam, you are on fire this week! may it continue

cHiCo

now to finish it off with fingermark, barra and jacks tomorow night

LOL thanks boys first post ive put up and happy 2 c ppl replying thanks fellas!
    Yer chico i do 2!!!! then it will b a good week coz it started last wednseday and we will finish it 2morrow nite!!!!!!!
    Cheers
    Liam

Northsboy,

Great catch - you make all us southerners envious. I hope you had a number of people on your boat - or you didn't keep all your catch. I'm sure you're aware of the regs

Take and possession limits
    All coral reef finfish species have possession limits of five unless otherwise specified (below):

Combined limits:
    Cods and gropers 5 in total of all species
    Tuskfish 6 in total of all species
    Coral trout 7 in total of all species
    Nannygai 9 in total of all species
    Species specific limits:
    Crimson jobfish (rosy jobfish), Red trout emperor 8 per species
    Hussar 10 per species
    Fusilier No limit
    Total combined limit 20 coral reef fish in total

Bugman

WTG Liam,

Brings back so many memories of Reef fishing in CQ ***sigh***

Cheers,
    Rich.

Bugman - I am aware of my bag limits and in my report i did not write that i took home more fish than i am allowed.I landed 21 nannygai but only took home the bag limit.I landed 9 trout and only took home my limit.In no way did i break any rules and regulations regarding species and there bag limits. The reason i landed so many nannygai as the spot is also good for Red Emperor which is what i was trying to catch.Have a look at this site - http://members.ozemail.com.au/~tropical/fish1.html and you will see that in no way did i go over my limit and it also states that no more than 30 fish may be taken.So some of your bag limits are incorrect.
    Cheers
    Liam

Gday Liam,

Sorry mate I wasn't pointing the finger, I'm sure you're aware of the limits - just seeking the clarification for others who may trawl this site to gain information or ammunition.

By the way - the bag limits and size limits you are referring to in your web page are wrong - just for the record

Bugman

Yeah nar mate its all good,Yes i do know my bag limits but i dont even go near them anytime im in the boat,my bag limit has always been around 10,i just checked my tides chart in my boat and the size and bag limits on that and you are correct,sorry mate! But yes as i said i dont like to keep to many!
    Cheers mate thanks for that,learn something new everyday!
    Liam