Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: They're here - 2kg a cast

Re: They're here - 2kg a cast

Banning cast nets, now that would be an absolute tragedy.

Greedy bastards!

i saw the yellow coats out there again the day after the original post and they must have been using illegal sised nets as they looked huge.......
    we worked hard with smaller nets and got about 3 kg...... i bet they had would have ovr there limit..

Steve ive been told the people in the yellow raincoats are actually asians that go and get hauls of prawns and then sell them to there chinese food store illegally,would this be true??
    Banning cast nets in QLD would be as firetruck said a tragedy!!!
    Cheers
    Liam

You hit the nail on the head northsboy.

Ok - for today, Wednesday's report.

They were a lot scarcer.
    We got there about 7.30am and by the time we did the rounds talking to all the locals we knew - it was well after 8am before we put a cast in.
    We weren't in a hurry as we could see nobody was getting many.
    The peak period was probably 10am - 12md although I can't be sure as I wasn't watching the clock.
    We had three people in the boat and didn't have our quota till about 1pm.
    It was hard work with only 2 - 3 prawns per cast and the occasional dozen if you were really lucky.

Yesterday there were only a handful of boats - today I counted over 40 - I think the amount of cast net pressure stops them from schooling up - hence you only get a few a cast.
    It was interesting to note that the yellow coats weren't in numbers - they were somewhere else obviously!

That's me done for this week - I won't hit the water now till next week... or maybe the weekend... unless I get a hot report...
    Oh bugger it - I'll be out there again tomorrow somewhere but not the power lines - my back and hand are still aching - but gee these prawns taste good!.

Dave ><>

Quote Originally Posted by cheno
    Went down there last night worked the area straight under the powerlines in 19ft. to no avail ahh well there is allways tomorrow. #

Wasted time fixing my nav lights which decided to go on the blink #>

Looks like I was in the wrong place Nugget - A little too far south.

I should have known that they were not around as my "prawnometer" was reading zero on the YRC scale (yellow rain coat). #

Go 500 metres north and work the area either side (eastern side) of the red beacon.
    I reckon you would do well at night - especially on the bottom of the tide.

Dave ><>

Big_Kev

Dave you are a sucker for punishment.
    LOL

How did you cook the prawns up nugget?? Mate up here 2 or 3 prawns a cast and we are laughing LOL!
    Cheers
    Liam

CHRIS_aka_GWH

only an idiot would think banning cast nets would stop illegal use of castnets. If they are willing to raise the bird at one fisheries rule - do you think they'll obey another.

They need to get harsher - like they do with ab poachers down south. ALL equipment siezed in the operation of poaching (blackmarket fishing) becomes property of the state (this includes cars used to pull boat trailers & yellow raincoats ) with a heavy fine. Second offence is a cracker fine, siezure & mandatory time away from the water with a friendly fella called Bubba in Cell Block A.

chris

CHRIS_aka_GWH

oh ps

coincidence or not....

Nugget scores the prawns big time at the mouth of the logan - driving home that night (I live near the logan) there is a fog forming

last year my first good score of prawns in the logan coincided with a fog.

any thoughts ???

chris

LOOK OUT FOR THE FOG!!!

You might be on to something there Chris - you're spot on with the fog - it arrived big time this week.

Interesting...

Ok - here is how to cook prawns.

Get a big pot and use gas to cook on - gas gets back to the boil after you drop the prawns in a lot quicker than electric heating.

Fill the pot with FRESHWATER - not salt.
    If you use saltwater the shells stick to the body making the prawns hard to peel.

Watch the prawns and when their tail curls up and touches their head - they are ready.
    Only takes about 2 min.

Then scoop them out and drop them in the sink or a bowl filled with an saltwater ice slurry.
    The longer you leave them in the saltwater slurry, the saltier they will be.
    I love salty prawns so I sometimes put the ice slurry bowl in the fridge over night - they turn out so tangy you just have to have beer with them - it's mandatory.

Dave ><>

LOL nugget it sounds good,you just have to have a beer with them lol!
    I will be waiting for the fog up here
    Cheers
    Liam

Thanks for the cooking tips Dave , I knew I must have been doing it wrong.
    I caught about a Kilo or two up in the Pine river last night, kept half for bait cooked the big ones. Tasted Sh**thouse , even drowned in lemon juice and Thousand Island dressing, I think I cooked em way too long.
    Anyway now I got cooked ones as well for bait, or maybe that should be berley.

CHRIS_aka_GWH

shell them green, chuck em in a hot wok, half a dozen at a time with 2 tablespoons of peanut oil & a big splash of either Masterfoods sweet chilli sauce
    OR
    a big dollop of honey & seseame seeds,
    honey & cashews
    honey & spring onions finely sliced

as dave said - pull em out when they curl or they'l be tough.

- you will never boil the buggas again.

Hey fellas why don't you put these in the recipe section?
    Basic, simple and no fancy ingredients that you have to go down to the local asian shop to buy.
    Circumstances have put me in the position as kitchen bitch/cooking bitch and these are the simple recipes i'm looking for.
    You catch something decent and you want it to be appreciated.
    Tony