Thread: "Myora" - failed to shine on Saturday Ni

"Myora" - failed to shine on Saturday Ni

Spent Saturday Night/Sunday Morn anchored in the Myora reach of the Rainbow Channel.
    Sounded around the general area before sending the pick over to anchor us on the drop-off. Lines go down and we're happilly fishing away. Within a couple of minutes I notice our boat has drifted off our mark, the request goes out to the "deckie" to start pulling in the rope so we can re-anchor. The rope and chain are retrieved but the anchor is missing, Hmm might have to use plyers next time to tighten the U-Bolt
    Anyhow, we anchor up again with the spare anchor and continue with our fishing.
    Fairly quiet night with just the odd scud of wind & rain coming through. Apart from the steady capture of sharks (Gummy, Shovel, Wobby's etc) things didn't reach any great heights and the kill tank remained fishless.
    Decided that Daybreak might be worth a go over at Peel Is, on the way back to the Ramp at Cleveland.
    We scored one nice Squire of about a Kilo and a half soon after our arrival.
    We had anchored on the Northern Drop-off and could see the bottom over the bow of the boat. A huge school of Yellow-Tail Pike had come up the Burley Trail and provided us with plenty of entertainment catching them on 10gram Raiders. It was a pike every cast until we got sick of it (have plenty of bait for future fishing trips now).
    Sent a couple of Pike out as "Livies" that attracted the attention of the local predators. Lost one to a bite -off, one was chopped in half and a third was ripped clean of the hooks. Could have been sharks or maybe something else with teeth ???

Ran into Kev (Reel-Hard) back at the Ramp. He was heading out into the Glassy conditions we left behind.

Maybe Mr Snapper next time

Cheers
    Craig.

CHRIS_aka_GWH

Re: "Myora" - failed to shine on Saturda

what bait you use sat night craig ?

perfect night (shitty southeast to scare the honeymooners away) & a perfect tide (14 hours of almost still water - can't believe you didn't score a jew. I would have headed toward the bar after the top sunday morning - something would have been bound to be leaving.

Maybe a poke around the deep hole at Welsby light might have produced...

always easy making advice in retrospect hey #
    chris

Ausfish Addict

Mackerel (spaniards) like live pike craigie, we use to catch them not far from there a long, long time ago right up until the end of july. You never know.
    cheers
    joe

G'day Chris,

Bait used was Fresh mullet fillets and Medium sized fresh whole squid, both pretty good Jew baits when Livies are not available.
    We did have one good hook-up to a strong running fish that gave plenty of head shakes and thumps but the hooks pulled before we got a look at it, maybe a Jewie ??
    Had fished this area before with Webby and scored good lippers and squire, oh well that's fishing.
    Wish we had a few of those live pike for the night session, will work on that for next time.

Jaybee,

Spanish Macs !!! One of them would have turned a reasonable trip into a good one very quickly.
    Not sure what was attacking the pike ??? Who knows ??

Cheers
    Craig.

Ausfish Addict

My brothers best spaniard out that way on live pike is 26lb gilled n gutted, the average would be around 15 lb. Surely They still would be in the area this time of year if no one is targeting them, this was shown to us by a commercial fisher we met thru the qld fish markets who lived on straddie (long time ago). Maybe next time set a livie rig with wire, you never know.
    cheers
    Joe.

CHRIS_aka_GWH

DID YOU KNOW ....

the Australian record spaniard at some stage in the 50's came from Welsby (spelling??)light (info from Anglers Almanac lists it as Moreton bay so I assume the same light).

mmmmm ! Craig, have you painted little fishies on the bottom of the Cyclone like Webby has ? That's what'll get you some Snaps !

Cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Craigie, are you sure that "U" bolt wasn't a "D" shackle. # # # #
    I have had a bit of trouble with anchor draging out that way, even with a lot of rope out. Anchor has still been there every time I pulled it up to reposition though. I might have to invest in something different to a sand anchor, what type do you think your new one will be. #8) # #8)

NeilD

Craigie, I fished around Myora Wed through to Sun am. I was on the large motor sailer on the edge of the anchorage. I had the kids on board so only fished gentlemans hours. Total for the trip was about a dozen Wobbies, at least thirty Gummies, a few Shovelies and no legal squire. The vermin were very thick and most nights my baits would only last a few minutes before getting nailed. Lucky for us the Winter Whiting were thick so we didnt go hungry. The squid were few and far between as well.

Neil

Bad luck mate, looks like those big slow tides, brough all the toothies out to play. did you go up further near the lease.
    Im heading over there tuesday night 12.30 low tide, 8 nice mullet in the tank swimming around happily.
    Seems peels drop offs on the weekend wsas the place to be with some nice medium squire coming up for those that fished it.
    regards

Bad luck mate, looks like those big slow tides, brough all the toothies out to play. did you go up further near the lease.
    Im heading over there tuesday night 12.30 low tide, 8 nice mullet in the tank swimming around happily.
    Seems peels drop offs on the weekend wsas the place to be with some nice medium squire coming up for those that fished it.
    regards

Seahunt,

Lost the Sand Anchor on that "Myora" trip, then threw out the Reef Pick which held fast for the rest of the trip, so basically I'll just be replacing the Sand anchor with something similar.

Phil,

I'll try anything once, what colour did webby paint his little fish ?

NeilD,

I remember your yacht/Motor Cruiser, we anchored 150m to the south west of you (although we got a lot closer after the "D" shackle undid itself ), we were the 3 guys in the open Fibreglass runabout.
    Have you had much success in the past from this location ?

Webby,

No mate, didn't try that area to the north, decided to give your spot a serious all-nighter after the success last time.

Good luck with the live mullet, I might have to come for a run to see how your going.

Cheers
    Craig.