Thread: Fishing Bribie Island - Bongaree Canal

Fishing Bribie Island - Bongaree Canal

G'day all,

My brother and I fished the established Canal near Bongaree on the southern side of the Bribie Bridge to the mainland. # We started fihing at about 11:45 am and fished till 2:00 pm for our first session. We went back to my aunty Margie's (Smith) for lunch. Our seccond session continued from about 2:40 pm till 5:00 pm. The first session saw all of the action when the tide was at its lowest and the fish were concentrated. # It began with myself having no real luck flicking my squidgey fish sp around the bridge over the canal, an so I moved to the mouth of the canal looking for some action. The tide appeared to be commin gin and so there was a bit of turbulent water, triggering me to have a flick. # A couple of casts later while working the rocky/sandy bank, I landed a small Pike (I think they are also called snook, yellow tail, etc #??? - bait in my eyes or little cudas # ). Then my brother while fishing under the bridge with other white plastics nailed another one. We both thought, this is a bit of fun. # After about ten mins of further flicking I resorted to working myself back along the canal, under the bridge and around a bend. #??? Around the bend, the water appeared pretty stagnant, and a few casts got hammered. # What's that, probably another pike? A few more casts, and I landed another of the pike. For about the next five minutes I continued to flick the sp off the bottom with big, long jerky flicks. # And during the time I got hit about five times per cast and hooked up each cast. The action continued as I fine tune the action. The action slowed for a few periods, but I got a couple of pike here and there, in between chating to some little fishos, wanting to know what I was using. # I then began to be aware of not allowing a large Eggret bird to eat the baitfish. # It was very keen on the catch, and eventually I realised it was pretty hungry, or greedy, and so I fed I one, about 10 seconds fresh off the water. # My brother informed me that there were a school of big tailor (50cm+)cruizing up and down the canal on his side. # But they will remain for a day when I'm able to target them, with the right gear . Ended up helping the young fishos, as the action died down to a crawl, with only a few fish every twenty minutes or so, being caught. I ended up teaching them the technique I used. # A good day all in all. # But just shows what can happen when you drop in on that local canal with a few sp's. # #By the way, I caught about ten or so of the thirteen fish between us, and only changed the plastic once, when I was finished. # You can bet the sp was a bit tatty. # It was a good time and the conditions were favourable, with bright sunlight and millpool conditions most of the time. #

The biggest fish went 38cm and they should make good bait. They were my brothers first fish on plastics and he caught the biggest fish.

Was hoping to hook up with some bream of flathead in the canal, but I can't conplain.

Chris # # # #[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Re: Fishing Bribie Island - Bongaree Canal

Ive seen pics of those things getting up to 1mt at least 80cm,,,, there a great fish on light gear and they absolutlly LOVE flys and small lures, If only we could get the big 1s they get down south, Ive had them jump, tailwalk, feed on flats, take poppers, and stay on the chew for whole sessions,in Redcliffe they become lil tu#ds destroying bucktail flies ment for tailor, BUT IVE NEVER SEEN 1 OVER ABOUT 38cm in my life. Shame that, they would be an awsome fish if they avaraged about 50/60cms in our area. Anyone caught any Stonker pike/snook? MQ Nice catch you got there,

At Wellington Point Fish between the leads and huybers beacon on the drop off for pike they are there in their thousands

good catch Chris
    good to see you helping others out as well, #in my opinion they are great fun on light tackle i caught about 50 pike off peel while we were looking for tailer ended up with 2 tailer cause couldnt get past the pike all fun anyway

cheers
    jeff

hey mate. I have fished that same canal the last 2 months twice. Ive been usin mainly atomic fat grubs. We have caught heaps and heaps of pike. We have also picked up some good flathead mainly just at the entrance in the first couple of pontoons on the left. We have also caught little trevally. At times they are in huge schools under the first bridge. But we still have not produced any decent bream out of there.

see yas

Thanks Quinney69, Vertico, Jeff and Jordo for all of your replies. The next challenge will be to pull some of the more palatable species from the same sort of canals. Negating the pike.

Hi Chris. Mate keep those pike, there one of the best baits this time of year for old man snapper, used half or whole.
    Will get you out for the delayed trip soon.
    Keep at it mate, you'll be able to show the old man u p soon.
    regards

Thanks for the reply Webby. # Yes, they are safely in the freezer. # Good fun on light tackle.

Good to see you've got two articles in this months B&B Webby

Chrisso,

It's all a learning curve mate, sounds like yours is on the way up, well done. Those pike love small metal lures as well, try Raiders around the 10 gram size. Use a steady paced retrieve with a few sharp jerks thrown in.

Cheers
    Craig.

yeh that can be pretty good for fishin, i have caught quite alot of nice fish off the bongaree jetty, and fishin off the bridge late at night with big live baits and whole dead ones, its surprising how many different fish move in and out of there