Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Southport Sand Pumping Jetty - The Details

Southport Sand Pumping Jetty - The Details

With regard to my post this morning, I've decided to outline a few things regarding the activities of a certain few "individuals".

I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the Gold Coast Seaway Sand Pumping Jetty, but it's an 800m long jetty just south of the seaway entrance. As the jetty extends so far out, there is access to some decent fishing at particular times of the day or year. The jetty has two large flow pipes running along the south facing side of it for the pumping process, and various locked maintenance platforms periodically along its length for access to the joins in piping and other devices and controls. It is illegal to set foot onto the maintenance platforms for obvious reasons.

Last night, I arrived to an all too familiar sight. The jetty was lined with hundreds, and hundreds of Asians fishing. This isn't a problem. I don't care if there's 600 nations fishing on that jetty - it's not the point. Along the entire length of the jetty, they are shoulder to shoulder and amongst them are quite a number of completely inconsiderate and obnoxious individuals.

Of these individuals, many fish with as many as six or more rods - each. On some of these rods are dropper rigs with no less than 8 or 10 baited hooks. Last night I observed dozens of people undertaking this practice. Three or four of these dropper rigs will be in the water, whilst the owner continues to slay tailor after tailor after tailor after tailor - regardless of size or number. Literally anything, and I mean anything that becomes hooked on those dropper lines is promptly wound in, and goes straight into the esky. Anything at all. If it's a herring, bream, whiting, soul, flathead, dart - doesn't matter. Anything at all, no matter how big...it goes into the esky. Why? What the hell can someone do with a 14cm whiting? Someone please explain.

The individuals seem to think that they're above the rest of us, and that they have priority access to the maintenance platforms (easier casting as there is no overhead obstruction from the pipes) which they adorn with all their worldly possessions necessary to decimate an environment.

As I walked the length of the jetty last night, not one of these platforms was absent of these "individuals".

I observed two separate parties of "individuals", one party of two and one of three discard their bait packets, wrapping from whatever they were consuming and numerous soft drink cans over the edge of the jetty as they laughed and carried on with their bullshit

One of these parties of "individuals" later in the night after they had been through two 2.5kg blocks of pilchards and far, far out numbered the tailor bag limit, took it upon themselves that as I was standing about eight metres away, my gear was there for their personal supply and went about shuffling through my gear to find my bait, as I looked on. Of course, this prompted a mandatory tongue lashing fueled by my already furious temper to which they turned and promptly returned to "their' platform, dropping handfuls of my bait as they did so.

Who in God's name gives these #######s the right to go through my gear? Where the hell did these "individuals" get off thinking that rules and regulations that normal people abide by, do not apply to them? How can these "individuals" of such arrogance pay such complete and utter disrespect to what our environment has to offer?

The general norm of these "individuals" fishing for tailor seems to be just as Alex has described. The family unit will be present. One person will hold the rod and effectively catch the fish and wind it in. As he/she brings the fish to the jetty, someone else unhooks the fish and assists it with its journey to the esky while someone else baits the hook. All while this is happening, the "individual" holding the rod will have it over his/her shoulder ready for the next cast. Upon baiting the hook, the line is cast back out for another fish.

Numerous parties of these individuals obviously know they are acting illegally in regard to the fish that they take. Once the esky has a large number of fish, legal size or not, one person of the party will wheel the esky back down the jetty on a little cart to the car park and empty the fish into the car. They will then return with miraculously with an empty esky - to start the process again. I have observed this on numerous occasions at this site. What the hell does someone do with over 60 tailor? Anyone reckon they're using these fish for "personal consumption"?

On a separate occasion last year, my line had become entangled in one of these "individual's" dropper rigs, about 30m away. As I hadn't seen much of what went on at this location, I waited as he went about untangling the line - or so I thought. I wound in my line to see that he had simply cut the line, and kept my rig.

For those of you that have suggested that something be done, this is just a little insight into what I'm so furious about, and yes, something needs to be done. I'm not being racist - I don't have a problem with Asians fishing or the Asian race as a whole. I have a problem with the fact that these "individuals" seem to go out of their way to match themselves to the stereotype that we're all so familiar with. I have an even bigger problem with the fact that these people have absolutely no regard what so ever for rules, regulations or common decency towards other people.

Ben

Ausfish Addict

Re: Southport Sand Pumping Jetty - The Details

Be careful Ben, a few years ago two asians who were best friends got into a fight, over a fish that was tangled between the two lines, one guy stabbed the other to death. I have done what another has suggested in your previous post and rang fisheries, and they turned up, and proceeded to check only caucasion peoples eskies. Even after my mate pointed out a huge eskie that was slipped down onto a catwalk, yep the fisheries shone a torch on it and said its an eskie. I believe it has something to do with racial tension, and the officers being accused of Prejudice that they don't push the point. However, having said all that i have still seen born and bred aussies do the same. and yes i have phoned fisheries.

One labor mp, suggested to combat this type of fishing is for all to pass a licence for fishing, by pass, meaning to answer a few simple questions on size and bag limits, of the bread and butter fish. Then as she said, no one has got an excuse for catching and keeping undersize fish, as if you have a licence you know the law, just like driving a car eh.
    cheers
    Joe.

Joe,

Thanks for the reply mate. Yeah I certainly don't want to get into violent confrontations with these people. I fully agree with you there - I too have seen Caucasian people taking undersized fish before too, and they too deserve to cop the wrath of the law should they be caught.

As far as licensing goes, even if people are questioned on size limits etc as a prerequisite to obtaining a rec. fishing license, I can't see how it would deter them from committing this type of offense. As the law states, being a recreational fisher, you are expected to know and abide by the regulations, and if you act outside of them, you face fines or worse. Maybe if the questionnaire was used in conjunction with even stiffer penalties should someone be caught in breach, then it would have more of an effect.

Ben

ben i can understand your frustration and recken that these sorts of practices should be stopped. we all pay attention to the rules and regulations why can;t they? for many years now i have always been frustrated seeing people keep undersize fish.

and they have no right at all to go through your gear. what sort of low lifes do such a thing as to STEAL other people gears?

cheers
    philip
    Bring on the Marlin!!!

Ausfish Addict

The licence idea is a big ask ben, it would have to be country wide and dutiflly enforced the same as a driving licence, you do the crime you do the time, Even today thought people with a licence to drive still flaunt the law and get away with it.
    cheers
    Joe.

these "people" are wan$%rs. f*&k the racial sh&T. if they are catching and keeping so many undersize fish they are obvisiously selling them or using them in shops. until the fisheries wake up to them selves and start punishing these "people" they will continue to get away with it. i am sure that they would need to get a few fines to get it through there thick heads that there is a size and bag limit for a reason. they want nsw fisherman to pay to fish yet when you report illegal fishing the dont care cause of the racial shit. these "PEOPLE" are living AUSTRALIA and they prob are australian citizans. they need to be treated like AUSTRALIAN'S. you do the wrong thing you deserve to get your ass kicked.

something has to be done

thanks dale

ps i have many different friends from many different nations
    so please dont call me a racist

Ben Mate,,,,

I certainly have not always agreed with a lot of your posts. If I remember correctly I have mentioned it previously as well. All about calling it like it is. I recall a few months ago you were chewed out on a post because of a reference to our "northern Neighbours". Let me say that I did not see that as being racist. In the context of the post it seemed pretty factual as you only discussed generally proven and known behaviour.

I doubt that anyone in there heart of hearts could say that they doubt or are even surprised by any of the things you describe above.

Is that racist? I doubt it.

Is there ignorance? Yes probably some. Is there cost versus risk. Definately.

It has been suggested that some of these people that keep under size fish are selling them or otherwise supplying some restauraunts. If that is really the case then I don't think it can ever be stopped. If the fine "IF" you ever get caught is only a couple of hundered dollars, then if I was them I probably coudn't care less if I occasionally get caught or not. The profits would way exceed the risk.

Like any pocket of society, there are criminals. A lot of them are petty criminals. These probably fit this category and there is nothing that you can do about it.

I started writing this post as "mad as hell", but after puting it into words, now I am just depressed as I realise there is not a damn thing that can be done.

And here I am a few weeks ago throwing back a 39.5cm flattie. Oh well,,,, at least I can sleep at night.

Ausfish Addict

Dale how many aussies guys do you know that have been booked for speeding and complaining the Police should be out catching the real criminals ??? Same goes for fishing. Doesnt matter what country you come from, if you passed a test for a licence, then there is no excuse imo. What do you think? I know there is a lot of ppl out there don't want a licence, so without one, how is this going to be policed ???
    cheers
    Joe.

hrm... only one place for em... legs up and into the water

Sound like totally unacceptable behaviour. There needs to be stricter enforcement of the fisheries legislation, particularly for blatant offenders. Funnily enough, I get inspected fairly regularly, and I hardly catch anything...

they're probably making fish cakes, doesn't matter what
    size or species the fish are, cause they are going thru a
    grinder. probably the heads, fins and all.
    might scale 'em, maybe not.

i remember when i was a kid in sydney, you could watch
    them under tom uglies bridge, off the hook and straight into
    the grinder on the spot. i kid you not. nothing went back.
    these guys did not even use reels.

oh, forgot, not an asian to be seen then.

by the way, i've hung around asians for a good portion of
    my adult life. i'm married to an asian. some of the asian ways
    seem odd to aussies but from their perspective nothing wrong.

best ignore their funny ways and call a friend (dpi) if need be.
    loss of face can be a major upset, and the last thing i'd dream
    of is giving them a dressing down for something they consider
    normal. best explain the rules in a friendly manner, oh, don't
    forget, always smile. if they want to ignore that friendly advise
    then leave 'em to it and slash their tyres on the way to the pub.

Not that it will make you feel any better but we have the EXACT same problem over here. Not just the Asians, every foreign fisherman seems to do this. Eastern Europeans, Central Americans, Asians. When you try to tell them that they are wrong for doing this, they suddenly don't speak any english. We have huge debates about this exact thing on a local fishing site I visit. It's crazy. Why not use a giant gill-net and just drag everything, coral and all, in? It would have the same effect on the fishery and would take a little less time. They pull the exact same stunt as you described too. Fill up your esky, take it to the car, bring it back empty, repeat. Rules are rules for everyone. They don't do any good if they aren't enforced. That story was just sickening and I feel bad for you Ben. I can't blame you for not confronting them. Hundreds against one would have been a massacre. Did you call the authorities? What you described was THEFT! A crime. They STOLE your bait! What a bunch of ignorant slobs! If they were poor and were just trying to feed their families, I would not mind it so much but what you described didn't make it sound like they were poor. It sounded to me like they were selling them or stocking their stores! The more I think of this the angrier I am getting! Stupid, rude, thieving idiots! Play by the rules or get the ---- out! What really frosts me is the fact that we are forced to be "POLITICALLY CORRECT" when talking about this. When we "gringos" have the audacity to make a fair and honest comment about something that someone of a different ethnicity is doing, we are immediately labeled a racist. You hear it all the time. "You are just picking on US because we're "whatever"!" No jack-ass, I'm picking on "YOU" for being a jack-ass! That isn't being a racist. That's standing up for what is right. Raping the ocean is NOT alright! As long as the politicians can make a few points for going along with it, it will keep being this way. These groups are fully aware of this and exploit it. It's as simple as that. >

Rant over. I hope your next trip will be a more pleasant experience for you Ben. After this one, you deserve it. Hopefully, there might be a few fish left. >

And no, I'm not a racist either. I never have any problems with anyone unless they give me a reason. We are just sick of this sickening situation.
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

I 've confronted a few down on the sand pumping jetty and on the rock wall. On a couple of occasions it got a little ugly.

Until Authorities do something about it will continue to happen and get worse. They should employ a few asian speaking inspectors and park them there full time they would have a field day.

Ben did you catch any yourself?

Thanks for your replies guys, some interesting thoughts there. Keep them coming. I'm probably going to attempt to chase something up over the whole incident - it's kind of a thorn in my side at the moment.

Remo, didn't do too bad. See report here mate. http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfis...num=1090783699

Thanks guys

Ben