Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Southport Sand Pumping Jetty - The Details

Re: Southport Sand Pumping Jetty - The Details

This is my first post, although i have viewed this site for a couple of months and found everybody's comments very informative I have never bothered registering (just lazy). With the discussion on the Sand Pumping Jetty I feel I need to put my 2 bob forward as it a issue I feel very strongly about. I was fishing with a mate in the surf just south of the sand pumping jetty on saturday night. We caught 6 nice tailor, lost many others but had a good couple of hours. My mates and I do not fish the sand pumping jetty anymore as we have had trouble in the past with the asian fisherman. As most of you know when the tailor are running, it is like shoulder to shoulder all the way down the jetty. They seem to disregard everybodys space ( i have even had 2 asians cast their lines from behind me over mine resulting in tangle/gear loss/fish loss). I have seen many an angler keep undersize fish and keep well over their bag limit. Although not all these fisherman are asian, when the fish such as tailor are running the majority of fisherman along this jetty tend to be asian. I have mentioned on more than one occasion to the man manning the shop at the entrance to the jetty about the going -ons. On one occasion he mentioned that he had heap of complaints and had called fisheries, but i myself have only witnessed fisheries inspectors once.

The saturday night just gone whilst we were fishing on main beach I noticed an asian lady with a shopping bag collecting pippi's. I has seen her gradually making her way down the beach. When she got within 20 metres I noticed that she had over 3/4 of a shopping bag full of pippis. I beleive there is a bag limit on pippi's (I thought 20). As she easily had close to 150 pippis I approached her nicely and started to explain to her that she was only allowed 20. To which she replied that she doesn't speak english. I explained as clearly as I could, she ended up walking(running) away with her bounty.

Ignorance is no excuse, why do some asians feel like they can use the language as an excuse for not understanding the rules and regulations that we all are to abide by. Maybe we need to invest in a sign (like they have at the theme parks) in Chinese/Japanese that clearly indicate the size/bag limits of the different fish and have it placed as soon as people walk up the stairs to the sand pumping jetty. Then if fisheries were encouraged to conduct routine checks, the excuses of not understanding will not suffice and action must be taken whoever the perpertrator. It will not be a question of race but a question of breaking the laws. Surely the people who own the tackleshop/store at the beginning of the pier have a vested interest in ensuring that the fishing stocks remain for years to come. Can they not be more involved in regulating the activities of those that pay their money on the pier.

I am not racist, but a realist. Our fish stocks can't sustain this abuse for much longer. I too was not born in Australia but now call it home and such abide by the laws of this country.

Cheers

Ausfish Addict

I beleive the Jetty has a sign explaining the rules n regs in various languages? n e way getting back to MTpockets request for someone to do something, i believe i read a post about My_TopEnder doing a ramp report with Extra, maybe he could drop a few hints. and invite them along for a fish with a hidden camera.
    cheers
    Joe

In NSW atleast ignorance is not an excuse.

"It's your responsibility to know the rules" (NSW DPI/fisheries, n.d.)

http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/rec/sw/bag_and_size.htm

a licence is NOT the answer.
    the nsw fishing licence consists of handing over $5 for a 3 day pass and away you go. no rules, no size and bag limit info. just more money going to the government dont we already have to pay a lot of money just to go finshing
    car rego$$$$
    boat rego$$$$
    car license$$$$
    boat license$$$$
    car & boat insurance$$$$
    10%gst on all bait and tackle$$$$
    all for what to catch undersize fish and watch dickheads plead they dont understand. well thats bullsh$t.
    if they can get to the fishing spot, buy the gear and have a car or bike, communication is obvioulsy not the problem.
    they have got away with it for too long.
    the government doesnt need any funding to make these people follow the law. if they start fining people im sure they will make a fortune and the dic&head fisherman will very quickly learn the rules

enough is enough

dale

i would love oneday to take my son (18mths old) fishing.
    but will there be any fish left when he is old enough to come. ???

dale

There is a sign at the beginning of the pathway leading to the jetty that has been translated into a variety of languages, however I believe it is with regard to warning beach-goers of the dangers associated with rips, currents, surf etc. I have not noticed a sign stating fisheries legislation in English, or any other language, but it is definately a good idea. However, again...as a recreational fisher, it is your responsibility to know and abide by the appropriate rules - sign or no sign. But, I do agree - it is a start and a good suggestion.

Media attention could bring light to the situation if enough emphasis is placed on it, but at the end of the day, I reckon heavy penalties that will leave a scarring reminder in the perpetrator’s mind of their wrong doing is necessary. Surveillance and media attention may help press the issue to the appropriate authorities, but I think it would need to be a significant collection of recorded instances of gross infringement to warrant sufficient action to stomp out the problem at this location. It would be imperative that anyone wishing to record such incidents do so secretly, as I believe most the people committing the offences know they are doing so, and would immediately cease doing so upon realising they were being recorded. Their realising a recording taking place could also insight violent confrontations.

Just a few ideas.

Ben

Contact details for anyone wanting to go pubic (beyond this forum)

A current affair
    http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/storyidea/story_ideas.asp (ask for Ray and tell them I sent you lol )

today tonight
    http://seven.com.au/todaytonight/contact

A severe penalty translates really well into all languages if it hurts the hip pocket. Make the fisheries officials self funding and it will be no excuse to say there are no funds if they ignore the income stream of the chaps they can hit.
    If they can't do it use security guards on comission.

You're not racist if you hate all d$#%ick*%*%hea#ds equally.

solution sounds easy, put a manned fisheries checkpoint at the
    steps or whatever leads onto the jetty.
    inspect all eskies/plastic bags/whatever when the people are
    leaving.
    too expensive? charge everyone going onto the jetty 2 or 3
    dollars for entry to the jetty and they should even turn a profit,
    not to mention the fines levied on the undersized fish.

Illegal fishing practises.
    This topic may have already been proposed to you for a story. I am a member of an internet site called "ausfish". It has 5100+ members (Mainly Australian recreational Fisherman). I am only 16yrs old but this is a very interesting, important topic and I urge you to have a read through some of the posts on this forum!
    Regards Michael Brewer

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfis...839244;start=0

sent this email to the current affairs program!

lol well done mick.

be interesting to see if they respond to your email

great idea michael.
    might send it to the gold coast council mayor as well.
    i reacon he might do something once he is made aware
    of wrongdoings, he has a duty of care to stop it.
    modern political correctness can be usefull at times.

aido, not holding his breath though.

Guys, thanks for your fore-thought to send the story to media agencies and politicians. I have also forwarded the story to Today Tonight for their consideration.

Over the weekend I'll compile a list of political and authoritarian contacts to send the article to also.

Ben

great stuff, I think the more people that contact polis etc the more action you will get
    cheers
    blaze

Hey Guys, >
    Although we dont have the same problems u have down the G C similar shit happens up here in Brisbane. Perhaps our comparative lack of cultural diversity is the key.
    Same ppl, same problems, same in-action on behalf of the so-called authorities .
    When u make a case of it to the media and receive response let me know.
    Have some info they might be able to use.
    Regards
    Lee