Thread: snapper

snapper

fished off caloundra both today and yesterday
    left friday morning around 4am headed out about 10km we caught 14 snapper around the 2-3kg mark.
    saturday morning left around 4am also, the wind was already blowing quite strong .do we go out or not? we tossed a coin and decided to go. once we crosed the bar we wondered why the swell seamed to be comming from the N/E and S/E and was like a washing machine.
    we where here now so lets fish in close and see what happens we pulled up about 2km out and in 16m of water. yakka's were everywhere stealing our baits then I hooked a 6.6kg snapper.the rest of the morning was very slow.

Re: snapper

good one! at least you got to wet a line

Nice fish. Thats always the problem Do i go? ???
    I'm gess'n that was the right call
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good fish there guys . Don't ya hate those northerly seas . Got to get one of those Ausfish caps .

Chris

I was in the Northern end of the passage at 4 am Sat. I would have guessed the wind was at least 15 knots then, it hadn't stopped blowing all night, and got stronger during the day. Brave decision to go out and good rewards for you.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

nice fish

Well done caloundra. Those close reefs are really fishing well at the moment. We fished Saturday night at the inners and it was rough as. Got a few good ones but the action was pretty steady. Wind speed at cape morteon midnight friday was 32 knots. You did well to fish in that slop. Tony

What sort of boat you fishing in and how did it handle those conditions. Tony.

we fished out of a stessel 4.65 truck it was a very wet ride out on friday morning but she handles very well in the rough stuff. a good strong boat.

Daniel

Well done caloundra
    I went up saturday sat at point cartwright ramp and thought do i or dont i decided to go and have a look. A couple of boats that screamed past in the 6 knots no wash area went out by the time i got to the rock walls they were headed back in not a good sign. went out about a Km and decided i wasnt that desperate for a feed so i turned back around aswell What was the bar like at caloundra. Did you get the fish from the marks we talked about. I also might have a couple of marks of wrecks off caloundra & pt cartwright maybe you could pm me & we could swop 1 is very close to caloundra i havent fished these marks so maybe you could give a bash & let me know.

the bar was flat friday and saturday just small waves. its getting very shallow on the bottom of the tide though.

jimbob sent you a PM