Thread: jack attack!

jack attack!

g'day all,

i cant believe my luck. i was fishing a marina north of brissy last night when i had both fortune and utter disappointment. the fortunate part was that i hooked a massive jack and fought the purple gem for a good few minutes and brought him to the surface. the bad news is that i tried lifting him outta the water with my rod(no gaff or net) and the bugger snapped the line in mid air. he was a big boy, and i was devastated, as i've never landed one. the bait was chicken breast, and tacle was 10lb fireline with small sicker and 1/0 hook. i'm not sure whether the line snapped or my knot failed. what do you guys reckon? i'd like to hear opinions as i'm still undure. either way i cannot believe my luck. should i put a 30pd trace nylon on? or was it cos of the way i lifted him out with no support? anyway any advice would be great. gee those bruisers fight hard, what an amazing fish! take care and good luck.

cuzza

Re: jack attack!

yeah mate go the heavey leaders with the jacks. Was the line frayed near where the line snapped. if it was frayed in a looping mannor it normally means that there knot failure. I landed my first big jack in the middle of winter this year and it was a fish of a lifetime. I cant wait for summer

Dylan Rylatt

Way to go Cuzza!!! #(nearly)
    Yeah mate use about 1m of heavier trace for the abrasion resistance, check and test your knots AND get a net,
    They are just awsome fun to catch. We are just seeing the jacks starting to wake up after thier cold winter slumber at the moment, they should start to get easier to catch over the next few weeks. The first one is the hardest.

Best of luck to you!! # # # # Regards, Tony

Can't stress it enough mate - use saliva on your knots, and always always always test them for strength once they're tightened. That way, if it's going to break, it'll break in your hands, not when there's a nice fish on the end. Landing net certainly wouldn't go astray either...especially around areas like marinas. Good luck.

Ben

g'day,

thanks heaps for the encouragement tony. i know you must'vee caught squillions of the purple gems so when you say theyre gonna start chewing again i get very happy. thanks to the others for their help also. here's to a jack ridden summer.

cuzza

Cuz

Were you fishing land based or from a boat ?

Cuz

Were you fishing land based or from a boat ?

Cuzza
    I tested the theory last night night, They are definately on the chew again
    We had a ball last night, I got stiched up in the snags so many times I lost count.
    Landed about 8-9 to 52cm.

# # # # Awsome fun, Go get em! # # #Regards, Tony

PS- will post some pics in the next few days

g'day tony,

far out! unbelievable! that is frickin amazing (in my books anyway). bloody well done, and great news. i went and trued sat night in pine and got nothing but big catties. cant wait to see the pics. me and my best mate could only dream of getting 9 in one night. here's to a better summer! take care and keep being the jack charmer.

cuzza