Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: big lizards at the pin

big lizards at the pin

After hearing several reports of good flathead at the pin I went down this morning for a fish. The boat was in the water just before sunrise and after fishing the last of the rising tide at the usual haunts without any luck we decided to cover some new territory. The forth cast into the bank and i was on a 70 something lizard. My best so far on plastics. A quick pic and back into the drink and i decided to try and blood a new rod. Around half an hour later drifting with the run out tide I was on again, this time an 86cm girl on a dead poddy mullet. My success was also shared with several other boats all catching 70+ lizards on hardbodies, plastics and dead baits.

Re: big lizards at the pin

my best lizard on plastics to date

This girl was a bit tricky to handle so we took a few shots of her in the net so she wasn't damaged to bad.

Nice one Jeremy!
    Thats a decent lizard! Well done

Regards, Tony

DaneCross

Great fish Jeremy! What's your thong size? lol What plastics were you using? Looks like it was a great morning to be out there
    DC

The plastic was a 3 inch salt water assassin in a clear with yellowish green bits in the middle colour on a quarter ounch jig head.

great fish im still waiting to have some real success with sp's seem to catch heaps of pike fishing landbased even when i do know there are bream in the area

A pair of nice lizards you've caught there! # I reckon Environet's are the best way to go for catch and release of fish. The old string net can cause fish a bit of damage, and they're bloody hard to get out of as well! Sure as hell beats being at work......

Good stuff,
    Hutcho

Jewies

Flathead are much easier on SPs than bream.
    I suggest you fish where you know there are flatties.
    Fish the run out tide and they'll find you !

Good Luck

Yeh hutcho I noticed a couple of scales came off by the time we got it back in the drink but we don't always release lizards due to them tasting so good and usauly not catching them over the 70cm mark. The smaller ones we just lift into boat, no damage done. None the less its on the shopping list more for bass and goldens when fishing dams.

Jewies, ive found that the best way to get lizards on plastics is to cast towards a bank or a snag and let it sink to the bottom. Then slowly wind back at a constant rate so that it runs along then bottom if its close enough to a flatty then it will inhale it. They will also rise up a few feet from the bottom to take them so if your casting along a weed bed keep it off the bottom to stop your plastic getting fouled up. Well thats my two cents worth, how do other people retrieve soft plastics while in persuit of lizards?

SHANE

Should have keeped the fish and thrown the thongs back if they were your old mans

thats gota be the funniest thing ive seen yet.
    RAFLMAO. [smiley=laola.gif] [smiley=laola.gif] [smiley=happy.gif]
    i use the whip and wind with shads, and slow twitch with curl tails.

Cheers Cloud 9
    then it realy gets ughly

i think the name of the pic is the same as a chinaman i used to know 3thonglong !!

Cheers Cloud 9
    then it realy gets ughly

Regarding the enviro nets.
    Jarvis walker have just released an affordable range of em.
    Might make them more within the reach of your averidge fisho!

Tony

the best technique I have found when fishing for flathead with dropshots or similar plastics is to cast into a snag / shallows, Then with small flicks of the tip of the rod (around 2 or 3) bring the plastic back to the boat. Wind up the slack between the jiggle of the rod tip. Try to keep a nice flow and the plastic will look like its taking 2 or 3 rises from the ocean floor then diving back to bottom. Remember that you have to keep your lure as close to the bottom as possible to really entice a nearby flathead. good luck!