Thread: Need a Fraser report

Need a Fraser report

I'm heading up to Fraser Island next Friday and need to find out what the weed is doing.

I've heard mixed reports.

So I suppose what's the weed doing and what are the fish doing?

My reports have been that the weed is everywhere, then no it's clearing, then it's back.

Kage

Re: Need a Fraser report

Hi Kage
    I was there yesterday as a tourist only. The beach south of Eurong was relatively free of weed...very clear near Hook Point.
    However, saw weed most of the way further north all the way to Ngkala Rocks although there were a few gutters that were ok. Having said that, experience tells me that weed today gone tomorrow and maybe back the next day. With Northerlies about then more weed will probably come in or current weed will stay. Need some good SouthEasters for a week or so to clear it.

I got to the Island at 8.00am and left at 4.00pm and saw no one fishing during that time...strange. Also noticed not as many campers on the Island as expected given it was school holidays. Heaps at Inskip though. Perhaps the camp permits ($4 per person per day), car permits ($32.60 for one month), barge fees ($65 car $35 trailer) and high petrol costs ($1.07p/l at Rainbow Beach) have taken their toll on families and fisherrmen alike.

On the bright side, the sand at Indian Head and Middle rocks is relatively hard due to recent rains so getting through should be ok (depending on driver and tyres let down). The sand has built up in front of Ngkala Rocks and trafficable from half tide down. Getting over the bypass is relatively ok too due to harder/wetter sand. There appears to be heaps of good camp sites available too.

Don't let the above put you off. Fraser is always a magical place. I love it and can't get enough of it no matter what I do there.

Of course, if fishing is bad then the beer is always good, particularly if you are over there with some mates.

Hope that helps.

Morlers

GREAT!

Thanks for that. #

I guess I'll have a report for you in two weeks.

Kage

kage
    was up there last week, morlers is right
    thick weed from eurong to indian
    after that it is not thick but you have to be pretty dedicated to fish
    no weed round at sandy cape
    watch Ngkala Rocks track as lots of cars bogged
    have a good trip

redspeckle

I was up at Fraser Island two weeks ago the weed was bad south from Eurong Beach Resort to Hook Point.
    Fish south of Dundabara camp grounds to Catherdrals and bag out on tailor between three of us and the weed wasn't hardly there.
    From Indian Head to Catherdals plenty of whiting gutters there and hard no weed get go6 feed of summer whiting thats if you can worm.
    Don't forget the tailor are not on every day so instead do touring and look at young lovely back packers females that is.
    Or read my report from the 10 to 17 of fraser island

Just got back from a week at WAddy, beach has cleared up alot, plenty of clean ghuttersand fish, and some decent fish aswell, best tailor went 64 cm. Also had a surprise cpature of a PERMIT , great fun ill do a proper report when i wake up and get the photos back.
    Cheers,
    Jacksh