Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aplins weir barra action

Re: Aplins weir barra action

Vertico- Theres no way I would release tilapia!

nott_so, Dr_Dan- If you guys hit Aplins Friday arvo I might think about sneaking in a 1hr lure casting session just before sunset .

Will probably see you there on friday.
    Southwind SF20 'Piscatoreous'
    Savage 14ft tinny "About Time'

A friend of mine is now the head chef at the new tavern in riverside gardens area behind Gleesons weir. #Next time you're in the area make sure you drop in have a beer and some grub. #And while your there... brag big time about all the fishing you're getting done and all the barra that are in the water right under his nose. #This'll really give it to him 'cos he is so tied up with work now he hasn't got time to go fishing anymore, poor bugger...
    Went there today food is great and reasonably priced too and the view's not too bad either.
    Just ask for Jeff the Chef & tell him Paul sent ya.
    Any fishing is good fishing (should probably say Any fishing is...probably going to be illegal soon)

Where 'bouts is this new tavern? Is it near the rowing club? Has been a while since I've been to river side gardens

Haven't been to the tavern yet paul. But from the reports from others, apparently it's a bit flash. Will have to head down and check it out. This area of town is getting a few places now, seen the size of "TOms" behind the shell servo on nathan street? should be good once it opens!

LOOKOUT BARRA HERE I COME! LETS HOPE THEY ARE HUNGRY TONIGHT!

WOOHOO!

Tavern is in the newer section just follow the main drive right on through riverside gardens, past new Waterford development about 1km and opposite the day care centre on the river is the new tavern big white place on the weir!
    Any fishing is good fishing (should probably say Any fishing is...probably going to be illegal soon)

Fished there this arvo, Nothing.

What happend to you bubby? thought you were coming down for a fish? Lots of people, no fish caught.

Mate I was there for nearly two hours casting like a madman. I just figured if you were there u would have recognised me from the photos I put up. Well I didn't get any takes that day either which was a bit dissapointing given the amount of casts.

Me and my freind Kiel were back there yesterday arvo with the live bait gear. It was difficult to muster up a bait supply and we had problems with bait overheating in the small bucket we had. Still, it was still a reasonable trip with both Kiel and I hooking up a various times. My first hookup occured after about 15 minutes of fishing resulting in a 70cm barra. Later on after sundown we both hooked up again but were only re-united with scaled baits. I'll probably be back there later in the week 8).

Went to the Tavern on the weekend - flash is definately the word for it. Awesome deck directly overlooking Black's Weir. All sorts of funky furniture and Boag's Strongarm on tap. What more could you ask for?

Talking of fishing the freshwater parts of the Ross River, I have seen people live baiting from the Nathan St bridge just about every night last week. They must go to the bank to catch the livies, but they just stand up on the bridge, half-way along with their lines hanging over the edge. I've caught some pretty big barras from underneath that bridge, and am wondering how the hell you would play one from on the bridge. I suppose they walk it to the end of the bridge and to the bank, but missing all weed beds in the mean time and keeping a tight line would seem almost impossible.

Anyone shed some light on this?

Bubby.

Didn't recognise you. Last photo I saw of you was when you had long hair.

Will probably head down some time during the week as well.

Yeah Leo I've caught a few barra off that bridge, mostly around legal size but I did help a feller land a 1.05m job earlier this year. Its not really difficult, you just play it as if you are fishing off a jetty and drag it to the bank for landing. The problem with Nathan St is the distance from the saltwater where the good live baits are.

You must lose a lot of fish when they jump - first rule of barra fishing (in my book) is don't high-stick them. I can't think of any higher-sticking than off the middle of the Nathan St Bridge.

Heh give it a go you might be surprised

Good call, I'm probably just being a w**ker - just seemed a bit odd to me.

Finally got down to applins on monday morning after dropping young fella of at school manage to raise 3 barra without luck then hit by monster 106cm fish on gold bomber 20 min later after trying not to loose in weed landed the big girl no photos but managed to get a tape on it thanks to some council workers on the ball.Couldent gring my self to release her back in the fresh so I gave her a new start in the salt side
    Hope she has many more years to breed up
    I will definatly be back there when the season reopens for some more heavy weight action when the season re-opens as im stuck back at work until 5/11 hopfully you buys wet some lines before you hit the new bars and get them before they call last lines on the barra season
    All the best ..... notts so