Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 1770

Re: 1770

Ok, lets try it again...

Thanks for the tips Ben.

Here's one of Nibbles playing a Mack on his little Grub Thug...

Great Rod. After I caught a couple on fly, he wanted to get in on the action so I gave him my fly rod, and then got spooled on my 1-2kg rod, so ended up catching 4-5 Tuna on his rod while he was flicking the fly (amatuer! ).

Pol

While we're at it, Here he is locked up on his first Tuna on fly...

And the fish it self.

Ole Nibbles eyes still glaze over when he says, "I have never seen line disappear between my fingers so fast".

But he got it on the reel....

Rob, can't beleive you didn't mention all the Tuna.

Pol

And Just to add another species, Pete (Nibbles) got this nice little trout on a snapback.

Pol

What rod/reel combo is Nibbles using in the above picture (the eggbeater one) "mactunaongrugthugs"

Cheers
    Mickk

Hi Mickk,
    Nibbles is using a Custooney "Grub Thug" and a Diawa reel (can't remember the model) spooled with 4kg Platypus Super Braid.

Nibbles makes custom rods, and the grub thug is one of his personal favorites (I am still waiting for mine...). It was designed to flick plastics, and is a pretty amazing little stick.

Hope this doesn't sound like a commercial post, Custooney isn't really what you would call a commercial operation. Of course I can't say enough good about Pete's rods, but then I think I own more Custooneys than he does now.

I made the mistake of casting into the tuna on my Custooney "Flick Stick" (with a Sedona reel spooled with 2kg Fireline. It boated a couple fish, but the last one is still swimming around with a fireline trailer..... (wasn't really thinking about line weight, just couldn't help but cast at all those fish

Here's another shot Nibbsie took looking down his rod while a fish was running. Bloody amazing fun on 1-2kg spin gear!

Pol

And just one more from when we had a double hook up... I got Pete to give me the camera when he got his in, and you can see the bend in my rod as I am taking the photo and still playing the tuna....

I know, bloody cheeky. #Of course by that point we may have been a bit delerious....

Pol

Oh, and by the way, the rod I'm holding is one of the few Nibbles didn't build.... He hasn't made me a fly rod yet the slack Bastid.....

Paul

Yes it's enough to make anyone smile....the blank in that photo with the doubled over rod is a Forecast SP780 (1-2kg) and by all accounts should have been toast with the way we treated 'em. I ran 4kg superbraid over one and gave it hell but it put up with the punishment to my surprise. When we catch up next Rob I'll show you the 7' NV8 spin blanks I've just built for Paul and I. Unfortunately they weren't epoxyed for the last trip but should make a "tough as nails" 10-15kg spin stick and being a slower taper should be well suited to braid. Just beware of those xxxx drinking mackerel up there!!
    Cheers
    Pete

No wire leader you'd have to be lucky
    Pete

Geeze Nibbles, and I thought it was you who was scarfing all me beers!

Paul

krtazy

that is an awesome trip by the sound of it congratulations on the spaniards they are fine specimens