Thread: "Brisbane SFC comp report - Mooloolaba to Bri

"Brisbane SFC comp report - Mooloolaba to Bri

ANSA comp this weekend at Bribie Island to Mooloolaba. We had 34 nominations from Brisbane, Ipswich, Bribie, Kingaroy and Maryborough clubs. Weather wasn't too bad for offshore in the mornings.

Anyway, I had a good day on Saturday myself. Trolling for mackerel with pilchard/pink skirt combo and live yakka in close on the Hamilton patches, Had one good hit and run but hooks pulled when the fish turned after the first run.

Spun up a couple of mack tuna and then headed out a bit further. Got a 19.8 kg longtail on 6 kg line on a livie under a balloon, and a school mackerel on a slug. Headed out a bit further towards some marks Kris gave me trolling lures, but never got there. Saw a big ball of whitebait on the surface getting smashed. Hooked up on a slug and meanwhile the sharks turn up and foam the water. Troll back over the same patch and double hook up on spaniards. Landed one 5.4 kg on 6 kg line. Came back in at about 1 pm.

Plenty of other good fish weighed also. Plenty of spanish, school and spotted mackies, mack tuna, few YFT, wahoo. No billfish hooked.

All up a great comp, even better as I placed first in the offshore division with 780 points (from memory).

The longtail was my biggest and really looked massive (to me). Big head and girth. Photo was taken and will be posted when I receive it.

Cheers,

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Re: "Brisbane SFC comp report - Mooloolaba to

Sounds like it was a productive morning for you!!
    Were you out in your little yellow CC??

Jeremy, congratulations on the win Any pics?

I was wondering how you guys would go, we were at the pin all weekend and the wind was sure blowing, especially yesterday morning.

Kris.

yes, by myself in my little yellow CC tinny , furthest out I went was about 15 km East of the Bar about 12.30 pm Saturday. Conditions were OK all morning but it was starting to get lumpy by lunchtime, and did deteriorate further during the afternoon.

Crossed the bar by moonlight at 3 am. Gets the adrenaline pumping, but it was fine, and an easy trip back through the bar at 1 pm.

Did get one photo of the longtail taken and I will post it as soon as I am sent it.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."

Apathy is the enemy

Well done on the Longtail. There is usually at least one good one weighed in during this comp. Sad no Bills were tagged. Brisbane usually fishes a bit better than Bribie - the fish have an extra month of growing. Russ and the Kingaroy boys had a good time and blooded the boat with the new motor. Bring on DI Pt.

giday rob
    what`s the new rig

Repowered the Signature with the 225 Yammie 4 Stroke instead of the 2 stroke you would have seen it with. Put on after the boat show in September but only had its first trip on the weekend. Damn Marlin have been getting in the way of our Red Emporer fishing. Only two more tournaments to go.

how long did the longtail take to get in ?

jeremy
    well done on the win
    and good work on the longtail can't wait to see the pic
    Daniel

The longtail took 45 minutes. I was using a 6ft overhead rod and ABU 7000 (which performed just fine!). I have taken over 2 hours to fight longtails half that size on 6 kg spin gear, so I think the shorter rod and overhead reel makes a big difference. You also get some fish that are really stubborn and others that come easier.

I dropped the anchor over the side on a buoy as soon as I realised I was on a good fish to prevent any dramas with the anchor line, and kept the boat moving most of the time to prevent the fish circling.

Jeremy

Apathy is the enemy

mate i cant wait to see the pic either, thats a great catch, ABU 7000's are great arent they?

finally got the pic

Apathy is the enemy