Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First trip ever to Murphy's(with pics)

First trip ever to Murphy's(with pics)

When out to Murphy’s on Sunday for a dusk fish. Left the Mooloolaba at 1 pm and conditions, well you couldn't ask for much more. There was a fare bit of bird action but I figure the sooner we get to the reef the better. Quick trip out got there in half an hour. Anchored up and first drop got my first venues tusk fish ever weighed in at 1.3 kilos. About half an hour later the other fella that came with us got a pearly which just made 40 cm. Then it was nothing but little grassies for about an hour or so then dad made me put my jumper on and just as I started to put it on the predictable happened my rod went off. A few seconds later my first ever, of two caught that evening, was boated both came in at 35 and a bit cm. Dad got a nice trigger fish and a few undersized Pearlies. We also got a lot of undersized squire and red emperor. And i caught what I think is a nannygai from down south it had sharp as scales.
    Anyway that is the end of that chapter.

Cheers Michael a.k.a chemmy

Photos to follow

The parrot

Re: First trip ever to Murphy's(with pics)

pearly

Nannygi

the catch

some nice pearlies there mate that was actually what they call a squirrel fish.

Hi Michale and others.
    I remember seeing you out there we were in the yellow 6 meter next to you.Good to see you got a feed .
    Reel-Job
    Lou

thanks for the correction

thanks did you get much only saw you pull up one fish

Well done Michael. Couple nice Pearlies to take home and by the sounds a few caught for practice. Weather looked the goods as well. Good job.....
    Brett
    It's FULLY SIC man

does any one know if the trigger fish are any good on the table.

Well done chemmy, good effort for your first time. I recognise the boat now from the photos.

Cheers,

Mark

Ahhh the first trip offshore on the sunny coast! That will be the last time you catch fish mate now you have the bug! I remember my first trip outside up there a few years ago, got a good feed then the next 10 trips were uneventfull! Practise and persitance are the key it's a good start in any case! Well done

mitch

Not clear from the photo, but your trigger fish looks a bit like a Leather Jacket. Leather Jackets make good eating. You skin them rather than scale them. They have big bones which make them easy to eat whole, so no need to fillet. Prefer the pearlies!

Argo

good one michael. I'll have to get out there soon!!!