Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rous Channel Thursday

MulletMan

Rous Channel Thursday

For the disbelievers, here are 72 nice whiting from my same spot today! Biggest 39 cms and littlest 23 cms. Magic day with dead flat conditions and a run out tide. Used fresh and dry worms and they were on the chew all the time both at anchor and drifting.

Re: Rous Channel Thursday

howly crap that is one hell of an effort mate but i only counted 72

thats what he said michael

Is that 39cm of Diver Whiting?
    Great catch and event better eating, but what about the scaling, filletting and deboning exercise to be performed. I hope the deckies chipped in with the cleaning duties.

thatll take ya 2 years to prepare the whole lot of em

Quote Originally Posted by morty103
    thatll take ya 2 years to prepare the whole lot of em
    Depends how good you are, it would take me all night, thats why I would have probably only brought home five or six. #
    However I did see a guy at Morgans making butterfly fillets out of them at the rate of about 10 a minute. #8)

that's a huge feed of whiting.

how long did it take you to clean them?

MulletMan

I'm lucky having a pontoon at Raby Bay as I have a double basin sink on it and this makes it a lot quicker and easier to do all the cleaning and filleting. I hose the scales off and this took about 10 minutes for the whole lot. Armed with a razor sharp boning knife I filleted and deboned them all in just on a hour and a half. I always cut out the centre line of bones as well as the rib cage. I'm a long way from being an ace at this but with the right equipment and having done the little mongrels for about forty odd years is a help! They are not the blue nosed winter whiting as they still have a browny yellow look about them when caught and none of the "stripes" that the little summer divers have! On a fresh bread roll with lots of butter and salt they make one hell of a sanger!

MulletMan

........ and Chemmy was right! I originally said 76 but I snuck in and modified the count when nobody was looking!

bidkev

Nice going mate. The best eating there is, in my book..........the deckie uses 'em for bait though ;-)

cheers

kev

Geez Kev,

ur gonna have to talk that deckie of yours, she eats Catfish but uses Whiting as bait....... each to their own I guess.

Cheers,
    Tony 8)
    Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem Bright ...... untill they speak

Nice one i havent had a feed of whiting in ages, do you normally get a run of them like that or was that just a good day

Just deep fry em whole tails are nice and crunchy

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by skippa
    Geez Kev,

ur gonna have to talk that deckie of yours, she eats Catfish but uses Whiting as bait....... each to their own I guess.

Cheers,
    Tony # 8)
    I forgot the winkie mate :-) Actually, she eats *anything*........except what I want 'er to chew on, if you get my drift ;-)

cheers

kev

MulletMan

Noodles, they bite all day mate! You get the usual quiet periods but when that happens, I pull the pick up and chase 'em on the drift! For some weird reason, the whiting in and about the Rous always seem to like the runout tide. I use a 3kg line, 10 ft. quivertip hollow glass, 5" Alvey sidecast, 12" trace with about 4" of red plastic and a coloured sinker on top of the swivel. I am pretty generous with the worms when it comes to threading 'em on the hook but find the whiting love the ones I dry out as much as the fresh ones. With a bit of luck you can usually jag about 3 or 4 per bait before it has to be replaced.