Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 100's of bream! Kids catching them by the score!

Re: 100's of bream! Kids catching them by the scor

Good to see the kids into a healthy outdoor activity (beats 8hr staraight hours of playstation!!)......I upgraded my boat because my kids got to the age they were really able to enjoy the water. Love taking them out on the boat, be it fishing or joyriding around Tangalooma, etc.....have not had that much fun in ages & is something I am sure they will remember when they are older, (as I remember the trips with my father).

Plenty of harsh comment re the catch size, but given the fish did not go to waste, and is not the 'normal' catch size, I do not see what the fuss is about.

Have you ever stopped to think about what the commercial fisheries bring into the the harbours on a daily basis?? In addition, have you thought about how much of that catch is then wasted or thrown out?? ???

My 2 cents worth.......

tshort

Wont be long before some of these kids are 17 rocket, hope your still taking them fishing then and you post a similar report. My 5 year old only wants to build sand castles.

good stuff on the kids gettin into the bream after all they are one of the bread and butter species and there is no bag limit on them for a reason ,, all you knockers pull ya freakin heads in for gods sake > bet you all have a deep dark past that contains killin fish for a feed ???. )
    to me and a lot of others it's more important introducing your younguns to fishing and catchin and keepin a few to show mum and their mates than it is to watch and listen to the so called bream comp gurus wank on about the 40cm monster they got on 1/2 pound braid and plazzoes .
    my six beers worth.......swano

ps here's a piccy of me 3yo with a lizard we kept for tea on tuesday (caught 6 kept 3)

The_Walrus

I have to agree with you Swano, nothing wrong with keeping fish for the tables.

I've had similar when keeping a couple of bass for tea and these were lake fish !!!

Luc

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

Welcome to the site Rocket and don't take too much notice of some of the whingers. Anyone that says you have taken too many fish needs to lift the bloody halo up from around their neck. As you said, that number equates to approximately 8 or 9 fish each for the whole trip.
    All of us, and I am sure I mean ALL OF US, would be quite dissappointed if we went fishing for 3 or 4 days for 8 or 9 fish each!
    You have done well and I am sure those kids loved their experience. As has been said, that trip will live in their minds forever, and so will you for giving them your time and I am sure loads of patience.
    You deserve hearty congratulations.

Cheers to you

Dave

So.....

Would 25cms and 20 fish be fair?????

Sounds about right bugman I'd be happy with that. 23cm is too small anyway.

I would say you are pretty close to the mark Bugman!!

I assume you chucked the tiddlers back and kept the eating size fish?

No problems there mate one pro with one net would have ripped twice as many out of the river in one swoop and sold them for 50c a kilo in the fish market.

You are still a brave man for taking on so many kids Did you do a head count when you left to check that they were all there?

And that you had not picked up any extras

what was the secret bait???

I've always used a self imposed size and bag limit for bream.
    1. If they are under 33cm I couldnt be bothered cleaning them
    2. I only really want 2 for a feed and I only have a little freezer.
    3. I'd rather eat flathead (over 35, under 60cm).

It means I don't eat as much fish as i would like but we are all different and have different needs.

I think a fishin' and camping trip haul like rocket had is'nt too bad. Not my cup of tea but like they say "each to their own".

Cheers, Orbyroo.

Quote Originally Posted by morty103
    Seahunt, ive been fishing at noosa for years and never in all my time have i seen a trawler, when did you see one?

Cheers Morty
    Well Morty , how far up stream do you go? They might not be there anymore, I hope not , but last time I went past Johns landing (2 years ago) there were a few anchored there, they are called Beam trawlers, they are not very big and only operate a few months of the year, probably chasing prawns, They work in the second lake and I have seen one working between the lakes. I know the conservation types were trying to get them out. Found one reference to it here, but I didn't look to hard. http://www.nrm.qld.gov.au/land/plann...ver_plan_1.pdf

personaly i would like to see it how the size was before in NSW set at 27cm and i belive in most would see 10 as a good feed however you do need to think about others on a yearly fishing trip so yeh a daily bag of 20 and a max bag of say 40 per person

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

I agree Bugman. That would be a fair and reasonable limit I feel, if bag limits are introduced. But what I wonder, and I am going to open this in the 'General' section, is where do the big old snodger bream spend their last days. I mean, people do catch them from time to time, but considering the millions upon millions of bream that must be around our coast, creeks, rivers etc, what happens to the big oldies. Do they have a natural predator besides man? Just something that interests me

Cheers

Dave

seahunt,
    i don't fish up the lakes way, to far from where i stay, i fish mainly round the sound, weyba creek and the frying pan.
    morty