Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 100's of bream! Kids catching them by the score!

Re: 100's of bream! Kids catching them by the scor

I agree with capatob,
    some of you guys deter others from posting anything on this site, sure everyone has their own opinion but it would be nice to keep it to yourselves some times.

mulletgut

Dexterity

I think its a bit naive for people to think that this post would not get any negative feedback. Headlining with hundreds of bream caught and showing photos of 50 or so bream on the grass it is only natural that some people might not agree, nothing wrong with that.

dx

opps!!! did i change my avatar at the wrong time

Forgot to say welcome aboard Rocket

There have been a couple of quotes that concern me -

and don't worry about the bream numbers..they have been there forever and will still be there in years to come.
    Yeah just like the old YFT and the long liners. This attitude is something you would hear back in my grandfarthers day. Kill all you catch they will always be here. As we all know as fishing pressure increases numbers decline.

Who can honestly say that the fishing is still as good as 20 years ago, for any species.

although only a minority.bream are a fast breeding fish and they can easily handle more kiddies catching them.
    Bream take 3 - 4 years to reach sexual maturity at around 24cm fork length. A 30cm fish is around 10 years old. I don't think I would call that fast breeding.

This time of year the bream congregate on their spawning grounds to do their thing making them an easy target if you can find a patch of them.

This is not aimed at you Rocket I think teaching your kids to fish is great. Its just a couple of comments that I didn't agree with

Jehtro..I was referring to bream..and I can tell you that the numbers are still plentiful...I will state that there are plenty of bream to go around..as there was 20 years ago..even 30 years ago..I could get a feed 30 years back and can still get one now ....remember..referring to bream here..one of the easiest fish to catch.

JETHRO, i could not agree more with you.
    It applies with anything in nature, no matter how fast things breed, you can still wipe them out with to much pressure from a growing population. For instance, i would have loved to have seen what fishing for mangrove jacks in south east queensland would have been like 50 years ago, i reckon it would be amazing, but with more and more people targeting that specific species, they are reducing slowly. This applies with bream, they may still be there in another 20 years, but slowly they will decrease in very small numbers every year, and then in 40 years time....your will have to push to find them. They may be decreasing in very very small numbers, but they still are decreasing and in this era of catch and release, i think people should restrict the amount they are catching and start thinking about what you are doing otherwise your beloved sport will not have anything left for future generations to enjoy in the same fruitful way we do today.

morty, you cant seriously compare the number of jacks in relation to bream.
    even 50 years ago there would have been 500 bream to every 1 jack. bream as a species are huge, the amount that a rec fisho takes couldnt possible dent there population.

it will dent their population if every dog and his dick started keeping as many fish as rocket did

thing is ..... not every dog and his dick does, can or will

mate im leaving work now, ill continue this agrument in about 2 hours
    Cheers

I can't say that I've noticed a drop in numbers of bream over the last 20 years. Perhaps a touch in the average size, but snodgers are still there to be caught if you know where or how. I've caught the biggest bream of my life in the last couple of years, but in general size has dropped a little. Of course it's not going to go back to the days when a handful of fisherman per area cleaned up on horse bream, but with the current trend of fishing, they won't be wiped out either. People have been caning them for decades and rocket can still produce the goods with a score like that. I would say that's a good report card. Along with a few others that have been posted recently here.

There are a lot of species that do need a hand out there. Can't agree more with putting the big lizards back. 5 nice snapper is probably enough for a feed too, and even they seem to be on the increase over the last year or two. But bream? Please.

PinHead - I know you were talking about bream. I was just using the YFT as an example. Many years ago fisherman thought that ALL fish were in never ending supply. As we know now that is not the case.

All of my experience is in NSW so I can't comment on QLD.

I have grown up on Tuggerah Lakes (NSW) all of my life (30yrs) and I have seen the number of fish and size drop considerably. I believe this is to do with over fishing by both rec and pro fisherman. Not to mention the huge numbers of undersized fish that are taken by usually tourists.

I think you are very naive if you think over fishing can not have an impact on bream.

I think you are very naive if you think over fishing can not have an impact on bream.
    [/quote]

overfishing a species can effect any species........bream arent over fished

Hay why does ever keep getting up fishermen who want to keep some fish in the freezer for later @!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bream freezer very well. I’ve got bream in the freezer from past trips this year our family has two feeds of fish a week it great.

As I have said prevoiusly I have no problem at all with what Rocket did. He did nothing illegal and gave the kids a few days that they will never forget.

Its just a couple of people made comments that I didn't agree with. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if they fish within the law there is not a lot anyone can do.

But comments like

"and don't worry about the bream numbers..they have been there forever and will still be there in years to come."

I don't agree with. We have seen it all before with YFT, kings, etc. If you punish any species for long enough it will eventually have an impact.