Thread: Finally!

Finally!

Some of you might remember me having a whinge about being new to fishing in Brisbane and not having much luck at catching anything legal. Well, I think I finally fixed that on Saturday. Not my first legal fish in Brisbane, there's been the odd bream, but the first time I came home with enough for a feed.

Saturday morning, way too early, I hit my latest spot on the Pine. I'd been past this spot before and thought it might hold whiting. So I thought I'd take the whiting rod and something a bit bigger. The theory was if I caught little winter whiting, I had some live bait for flathead.

The river was practicaly deserted. Gee! early morning and an icy little wind blowing and nobody wants to go fish ??? For the first hour it was just me and a huge flock of pelicans and cormorants.

I fish a two hook rig normally, and had just loaded it with some live beach worm. First cast Boom! What the? this aint no little winter whiting. Nope, two summer whiting. I measure the first one and it turns out to be 22cm. Ah the old curse again thinks me. Nope, the second is a bit bigger 26cm to be exact.

After that it was pretty busy with four keepers in the next hour, before the wind go totally out of hand. The biggest went 30cm.

OK. So its not in the league of most of the reports on here, but I'm pretty happy that I've learned enough from all the useful stuff on this site to actually bring home a meal.

Not even hearing the detailed version of Fishin_Dan's mega effort in WA could take the smile off my face. 8)

Sportfish_5

Re: Finally!

Good stuff Sunny. Now youre onto them.

Cheers

Greg

freddyfish

What do you look for to identify a good whiting spot in the Pine.

We fished there yesterday and only got small winter whiting.

Caught a good flatty tho which made it worthwhile

Would love to get a good feed of descent whiting

Any thoughts or landmarks much appreciated. Congrats on your catch on Saturday!!

Blu

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by blufish
    What do you look for to identify a good whiting spot in the Pine.
    Blu
    A spot of clean sand seems to pay off for me. There's a nice one upriver at Castle Hill where the river opens into a bay before doing a sharp kick to the left. It's very shallow at low water and is out of the main run of the river which probably accounts for it being less muddy. There are also some very clean patches in the S Pine.

cheers

kev

westie

Sunny... it look to me that to break the curse all you had to do was join up here. Hope it keeps working for you ..GOOD STUFF

Good one Sunny, whiting to 30cm from the Pine is a nice effort and they are certainly tasty little suckers. Good to see you have broken the drought.

Well done sunny, now you have your spot.
    You can look at the big fish coming in, but there is little as nice as a peaceful river fish on FLAT water and catching quality whiting like that

good on you!

where did ya get ya Beach worms from sunny? i reckon they were the secret

nice fish

Drew

Thanks for all the comments guys. Nothing like a bit of encouragement for someone who is still learning.

blufish,
    I'm the last guy you should be asking, but I recon Kingtin is spot on. Look for the clean sand. I like a bit of a slope too.

Drew,
    Wish I'd remembered that you sell em. I bet it would have been cheaper than what I paid. PM me your details and I'll definitely give you a call next time.

The more you practise the luckier you get.Looks like you cracked it mate.They will just get bigger now
    Good one

FF

Good work Sunny! Sounds like you've finally got the spot... Just need to get some land based spots, and boat based spots. Then no matter what the days like, you have a better chance of getting something at any time.

The one thing I have found though is that when you have a breakthrough in fishing, it doesn't matter what else everyone else is catching, yours is still the best!

Do a search through the For Sale thread. Drew put a post there with all his contact details for the Beach Worms.

Onya mate keep those reports coming.