Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Banks "not Really"

Re: Banks "not Really"

Craigie, Chrisso and I working late into the night.

My god was I tired

Bugman i was going to ring the coastgarde to see if you logged back in ???. Mate i am glad we pulled the pin on it , 20k's was enough . Atleast you got a feed out of it. What time did you get back?
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chris,

Out wide at 1:00pm was not a good place to be - it was blowing 15-20 with lots of white caps. The sea was just everywhere. There was sort of a SE swell but there were waves come from all over the place North South East and West - most of them had no backs and you go over one only to find you were completely airborn and smacking into the next one which were only 1 metre apart.

In short it was crap and I feel like writing to bom and seabreeze etc.

I think we got into Mooloolaba some time after 3:00pm - should have left after I spoke to Mark at 10:00 because I don't think we put a fish in the boat after that.

Brett

Jeffo, we fished some bait schools and also some nice arches hanging off the bottom. Where there was bait we normally got the odd fish but I think fishing the arches was most productive. Like Spiro said, just drifting you had to let out a lot of line to get to the fish with light lead but backing up into the wind you could go straight down if you wanted to. I don't think there was much current, just wind. It took us a couple of hours to find a good drift line that prooduced for us but it was pretty consistent throughout the day when we did. Birdy's pearlie that he caught would have been enough to make the day worthwhile so I 'm glad we stuck it out.

Mark, those tuskies are HUGE! They must have taken some winding!

Matt.

DaneCross

Great pearly Matt Some great catches there fellas despite the conditions, top effort [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by bugman
    Out wide at 1:00pm was not a good place to be - it was blowing 15-20 with lots of white caps. The sea was just everywhere.
    Sounds like you lot had the raw end of the weather stick. 1:00pm on the Gold Coast the had glassed out with an even se swell

DC

Brett
    Sounds like testing conditions all round...at least you were able to put a good feed of fish into the Icebox.
    Craigie & Brooksie look to be moving a bit slowly today ...???

I am still looking to do a mid weeker to the Banks.....the weather looks to be holding, but after Sun u wouldn't want to to bet your left one on a BOM prediction.

Cheers
    Phil

well done streaker and crew on the win

sea saw
    nice haul of fish
    sorry to hear about the rod

Daniel

Geez guys, sorry the weather didn't play its bit for you despite the favourable forecasts - and well done to all who even ventured out - looks like babysitting for the w/e wasn't such a bad outcome although there were still some awesome catches there.

Streaker - Hopefully you accept a late entry for the next challenge when its on.

Mark - were you at the northern end of the Banks?

Cheers
    Dave

good ony astreaker but if the weather was better it would have been a bit of compation any way the bottle of cordial is waiting for you in my pantry , but next time i will gladley take the drinks of you all if you catch my drift

Razorline, Sorry to hear you lost a rod to. #I intend to make a few enquiries, but in reality, it was my own stupid fault. # ???These rods are not meant to come in contact with anything when they are under load ... it causes them to snap and I can't cliam it is a design fault. #If I get the answers I expect to get then I won't pursue the matter (although a new rod would be nice), as it is my fault not theirs. #If it happened just under normal load, that would be a different matter and I would be out for a replacement.

BigCods, I was at the northern end of the Banks.

Streaker, I don't remember seeing a sportsfish out there. #Did you see one Cheech? #There were a couple of other boats near us and one was a pretty small tinny about 5.5m. #He would have had a bad trip home.

Brett, the trip home was the same for us. #We hit some pretty solid waves with no backs, although I found it OK once I stopped aiming at Pt Cartwright and took a bearing that ended me 5km North. #By bearing away a bit I could travel at 20knots comfortably (seas were side on then) and then turned back to the Point once we we in close enough to be out of the weather. #Its days like that that make me glad I have a glass boat ... and a mono # #..... we passed a kelvcat that was struggling in the condition # # That ought to get the cat guys going #

For all those that asked about the Parrot, they would be around 4kg, and I would estimate 60-65cm.

Cheers,

Mark

Gee,,,, thanks Mark for mentioning that.... My reputation was in tatters until Spiro mentioned that he got a bit crook out there in that weather. It was very average. (thanks Chris for saving me)....... If you were just looking the other way for 10 seconds I would have got away with it and nobody would have known. Luckily for me it came on quickly and went just as fast. Was a case of just a quick spit and feeling fine straight away (well,,, 90%). Makes me think that if I feel the urge again I will not bother trying to hold off if a quick ralph gets you back in the game so fast.

Matt, I see from your post and some of the later posts after my initial suggestions and words of advice (well,,, I thought I was helping) on that other thread that you know what you are doing. I was just a little concerned when you first started talking about charts and first time in the same sentance and I had the inpression that you had not ventured to the sunny coast before. And I suspected the conditions would not be great early (just did not expect it to be that way all day!!), so apologies to you.

Wayne,,,, the Real McCoy absolutely goes to you. We had a boat that was doing drifts for a few hours about a kilometre to the north of us and then a bit more east then south. It did look a bit like your new boat. We were on the fish, and I have seen him on the fish, so was probably him.

I personally had a great day on the fishing front despite the conditions. That Snapper was my best yet. Went 66cm. I know a long way short of Wayne's, but still a lot of fish. Was the best for the boat till Mark killed it with the 75cm version.

A new experience... we were not at our bag limit. Then I pull up a 48cm squire. Released it because it was too small. If I got that in the bay,,,,,

I thought I was doing ok holding up my 1/3 of the catch for the first half of the trip. Then Mark got out of second gear... on 3 occasions he had double hookups on both his rods (floater and bottom). I sure don't think it is year of the deckie. At least not on Sea-Saw.

Cheech

Congratulations Wayne, we were definately outclassed on the day. I think you made the right move staying in close. My back also wishes we stayed in close. Were you on the spot that the gamefisherman call the 10 mile and was there much structure on the bottom?

Mark also good to see you brained them. What depth were you fishing in?
    Cheers from a much shorter Brooksy.

Brooksy, We were fishing in 55m.

Sorry Cheech for ruining your rep, but you were trying so hard to go unnoticed 8)

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Cheech
    Matt, I see from your post and some of the later posts after my initial suggestions and words of advice (well,,, I thought I was helping) on that other thread that you know what you are doing. I was just a little concerned when you first started talking about charts and first time in the same sentance and I had the inpression that you had not ventured to the sunny coast before. And I suspected the conditions would not be great early (just did not expect it to be that way all day!!), so apologies to you.
    Mate don't apologise, you were right on the money - conditions weren't that great early # #Seriously, it's good to see advice ilke that being given. #I could have been a first time boat user in a flat bottomed punt for all you knew - nothing to apologise for.

Matt.

Brooksy they was a fair bit of struckture. Lumps, ledge and reef patches. The thing i liked best about it was the amount of bait schools with BIG fish in them and on top.
    Cheech i was just gagging, but once i got a pearlie i felt better. My brother did'nt even put a line in and he wasn't helping me by comeing over my side for a spew I think he was trying to get me home faster.
    I was told by a mate fishing around Murphies that it flatternd out by 4.30pm
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]