Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I see lots of RED again

I see lots of RED again

Gday all
    I have been flat out of late and haven’t had to much of a chance to check out what’s been happening with the Ausfish gang but here’s a quick report. I have had several trips of late out from Straddie, Moreton and DI Point with good results but the weekend tops the lot. We headed wide to spot X (along way NE of Wide Bay bar) Friday morning and stopped for a fish 50km on some good ground and hooked up on something solid which turned out to be 2 big cat fish. (Kingtin would have been proud) Not the type of fish you would expect in that area but the water was still dirty even that far out so they may have been in their element. Finally after several hours we arrived at spot X and found reds pretty quick and the sharks weren’t to far behind but they didn’t give us all that much trouble like some trips. We headed all over the ocean looking for new country and pulling usual reefies and just before dark headed back to spot X and anchored up. The fishing we experienced was what blokes can only dream off. We pulled Reds one after another for well over 3 hours with 1 red to be under size and all others over 6kg fish. With the bag limit of only 5 fish each we released well over 20-30 nice reds which was hard but also thrilling letting such fish back to fight another day. It was hard work and by 9pm we had giving up as we totally stuffed and needed some sleep. I got up at 3am Sat morning and dropped a line to find they were still there thick as you could believe but the wind was pretty strong and we soon made our way home before it got worse. We stopped off at the usual spots close in and pulled snapper, Pearlies, parrot, before anchoring on a nice show of fish. The anchor hadn’t even caught up and the Old man is struggling with a solid fish. As time went on it was called as an AJ or something similar with quick long hard runs all the way to the top. What we thought was totally wrong as a monster looking redish fish down below was making its way to the top where we both said holy crap that looks like a RED. Well it was a Red Emperor all right and the biggest we had caught. The beast weighed 18.1 kg and I can tell you it was checked several times both on the boat and when we got back. We have been chasing an 18kg Red forever and finally it happened which couldn’t have come at better time as the old man turns 60 next month so congrats old boy. We headed to some other spots and pulled a few nice Large Mouth Nannygai and I managed a nice Cobia, which put on a show at the boat. We headed in about midday and took a few shots of the big beautiful boat that was run a ground a few weeks back into the Northern side of the DI headland. We had a bugger of a time putting the boat back on the trailer with a nice northerly beach dump happening but we had plenty of help from others on the beach and in return they scored a few reds for there efforts. Top trip but a huge effort and a total of 230km covered. For all the details and good pics including 18.1kg of beautiful Red then look in next months BushnBeach.

www.wickedfishing.com.au The place for wicked fish pics, articles and DVD's. Your ultimate reef fishing DVD "Double Island Point & Beyond" on sale now.

Re: I see lots of RED again

Nice average red

www.wickedfishing.com.au The place for wicked fish pics, articles and DVD's. Your ultimate reef fishing DVD "Double Island Point & Beyond" on sale now.

What a sight

Large Mouth Nannygai

average snapper

Cobes

average Pearlie

well heres a little bit of it. you think he could have moved his fingers out of the way wouldn't ya. And not one fish was caught on the deck winch. All fish fish were caught on rod and reel (50lb line and dead yakkas) The deck winch was there if the sharks got worse.

Unbelievable Reefy. let me know if you ever need a crew ha ha

i just dont know what this bloke was thinking when he tryed this short cut

Holy Sh!t Greg ..... you have outdone yourself

Another cover coming up

Cheers,

Mark

noluck

that reed color almost blow me PC
    good work
    cheers no_luck

Thats unreal Greg, quality reds!

Once again Greg awesome..

Greg any chance you know what the beach is like up at DI for beach launches. Still big jump ups on the banks, is this why u went thru the bar. Heading up there early August towing the Haines and Stacer up, wondering if we can get in off the beach or we gotta go thru the bar.

Looking forward to seeing the full pic at the end of the month. As they say on the footy show "THATS TOPS".
    Brett
    It's FULLY SIC man

Now that's a good day at the office and 18kg red , my best is probably 1.8kg . You managed a very nice feed indeed.
    Cheers, Jay