Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wello Report 24th Sep

aquarius

Wello Report 24th Sep

G,Day folks, Jim and i tried our luck on the Wello reef this morning and scored a variety of species.
    Unfortunatley could not get a fish over the 35cm mark but got several throw back squire to 34cms.
    The morning was calm until the N/W breeze kicked in about mid morning.
    Jim had a squire chased and cut in half by a shark so at least someone got a feed...lol
    We had a mate who fished out at Harry,s and he said he brought home 3 squire to 50cms and a grass sweetlip.
    Not much tidal run today at Wello and the fish were few and far between but we had some fun and thats what fishing is all about.
    Water clarity was still a bit murky which helped us in the shallow water. In a month or so when that water warms i reckon those grass sweetlip will be fun to catch on the light gear.
    Fish species caught today were squire, sole, grinner, bream, cod and grass sweetlip.
    Cheers Brent

Re: Wello Report 24th Sep

Good work Brent! Those Sweeties will go hard on the plastics!!! Bring on the warm weather!!!!!

Same effort at conditions at mud today brent,

Cheers Steven
    Cheers

Steven

bidkev

Good on yer Brent. Simply getting out and having a good time is what it's all about whether you catch for the pot or not................If I say it often enough I may end up believing it

cheers

kev

Hello Brent good to see ya had fun (:
    I think it was bad everywhere today i did not hear any good reports coming from the Gold Coast Seaway and Reef either # Once there is more run in the water i hope things will pick up. I Should have have gone to Wello i might of caught a fish there #

aquarius

Folks it sounds as if it was slim pickings on the bay today but yes Kev bringing home a feed is a bonus.
    Maybe we should say we are going boating and if we get a feed that was fishing..lol
    Something i watched on a dvd the other night was a guy saying NOT TO GRAB A SNAPPER BY THE EYES WHEN RELEASING........this will lead to blindness and therefore in time the fish will starve to death.
    Can anyone verify this theory?
    Cheers Brent

bidkev

Brent, I've caught a few fish in my time that were as blind as bats....some even had worms coming out their sockets! I believe many fish have such highly developed lateral lines that they can hunt purely by using this. .........it picks up vibraions from other fish and they can use it just as a bat uses it's sensors.

Other fish such as catties and atlantic cod and whiting have barbules on their chins which are highly sensitive and which they use for foraging.

cheers

kev

Brent,

I was also wondering how thick the jellies are down along the drop off at Wello at the moment?

Cheers Steven
    Cheers

Steven

aquarius

Steven in some areas we could have made a jelly smoothie with the outboard ........Never seen them like this before.
    Cheers #Brent

Brent,
    We did the usual spot at Mud and although we got off to a slow start, we ended up with 3 x 40cm and 1 x 38cm squire. We threw back another half a dozen that were probably just legal. Also caught the usual grinners and a nice cod. Highlight of the day was on the north eastern corner, had a huge hit and it took off slowly at first and then proceeded to empty my spool. It was similar to the fight with the big jew I got a month ago. 5 minutes later after chasing it with the boat, a bloody big turtle surfaced and showed us his displeasure at being hooked. LOL Anyway, the hook came out easily and no harm done, except to my pride. Give it a good go next week around the new moon.

aquarius

G,Day Graham......Tough day fish wise yesterday but for your troubles you ended up getting a feed........Lucky that turtle had to take a breath sometime or you might still be chasing it around the bay..lol
    Yep will give Mud a go next weekend weather permitting.
    Catch up with you then mate.
    Cheers Brent

One good thing about the jellies is they make a nice little shelter for the white bait/toads that are everywhere at the moment.

Wheres theres bait, there will be a predator soon or later.

Cheers Steven
    Cheers

Steven

If you drop some peeled prawns on a hook lightly weighted to the bottom under jelly fish, there are whiting... Apparently where there's jellies, whiting are underneath em...

Brent, Which has experience shown you to be the most productive time of the year at Wello? Winter on the squire or summer with the sweeties? Do you still get squire during the warmer months and do you use the same techniques/plastics for the sweeties?
    Apologize for having 3 ? marks in one post,
    Cheers, Dezzer

aquarius

Dezzer we find summer time better for quality squire around Wello but not in big numbers........The grass sweetlip fight harder than squire but they also tend to fight dirty by diving for cover in the reef.
    Squire will hang around the drop offs while the grassies like the shallow snaggy structure.
    We use the same technique and plastics......December through to late March see's the sweetlip population invade the Wello shallows.
    You may have to downsize your hook because the grassy has a smaller mouth than a squire and they will spit large hooks very fast!!!
    Cheers Brent