Thread: Tonn o Fun

Tonn o Fun

Had a late start this morning and headed to Mud. Things very slow so I decided to head across the bay to the sand hills.

Good move too. The bonito were about. Thet were everywhere, all the way up to Tagas. Bit shy. Lost count on the amount of hook ups, follows and lost fish. In the end I boated half a dozen. All sent back to grow. Fish were between 2 and 4 kgs. Great fun on the 2500 Capricorn.

All looks good for a top season on the speedsters. 2 weeks ago got a few hook ups on free swimming spotts around Mud.

Bring on the long tails,

Yee haa

Cheers Steven
    Cheers

Steven

bidkev

Re: Tonn o Fun

Good going Steven. I've heard them mentioned before but what *exactly* is meant by "the sandhills"? Everywhere I look at moreton there's sandhills from the southern end to those just north of Tangalooma. Which ones are the fishos referring to on this site as I have had different locations given to me by non fishos. I've always thought of *my* sandhills as being those at shark spit.

cheers

kev

gaday kev.
    the sand hills are on the southern end of mortern.
    there the sand hills you see from wello.
    then it realy gets ughly

i thought they were the little sand hills ?

bidkev

quote author=Cloud_9 link=1127546169/0#2 date=1127559038]gaday kev.
    the sand hills are on the southern end of mortern.
    there the sand hills you see from wello.[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by vertico
    i thought they were the little sand hills ? #
    See what I mean!

cheers

kev

G'Day Kev,

Attached pic is of the Sandhills. It was taken from Wello point, sand to the left is 'The Sandhills' and the sand to the right is 'Little sandhills'. You'll find the sandhills on the southern end of Moreton Is.

The kids would love the sights from the top of the sandhills too, a great view over the bay looking back to the city and just as impressive looking east out over South Passage bar and beyond.

A good spot for summer whiting too #

Cheers,
    Tony #
    PS Probably not a good pic now I look back at it.
    This will get you in the area s27.17.580 e153.23.536 (wgs 84)
    Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem Bright ...... untill they speak

gropeher

Kev,
    the sand hills are on the southern end of Moreton, looking from the boat the one on the left is called the big sand hill and the one on the right is called the little sand hill, hence the name the sand hills and yes it is a very populsr spot for whiting.

Cheers Ryan..

bidkev

Thanks Tony & Ryan. They're further South than the ones I was thinking about. If I'd've just used my noggin I'd've seen that they're marked on the bloody chart! [smiley=smash.gif] One up to you Phil!

I see there's some sharp drop offs SW of the little sandhills that may need investigating..........typical big shovelly country

cheers

kev

Thats thm kevy,

I will keep an eye out for you now that you have found a new verminator spot. Make sure you have a few cool drinks on board the mothership.

Can be bloody hard work chasing them speedies.

For those that are interested fish were caught on 2 1/2 inch plastic ecos (white with black fleck) on a half oz jig head with 3/0 heavy.

Chers Steven
    Cheers

Steven

bidkev

Steven, are those drop offs where you chase the longtail? There's a sharp drop off opposite coonungie bank where I've seen *lots* of activity when I've been passing before but I've never fished it, always meaning to return but not yet managed it.

kev

Kev the deeper water sems to be the go,

Bait fish probably come off the flats and get rounded up by the speedsters

All the deeper water and shipping channels seems to have the tuna, find them at the end of the runway of the mouth at times as well.

Cheers Steven
    Cheers

Steven