Thread: Cairns today - what is this a trout/cod?

Cairns today - what is this a trout/cod?

Late start today and headed out at 10 to Arlington with mate Dave. A little scared due to predictions of 15-20 knots but this reef is reasonable protected. Pull up on a likely looking bommie which was visible in 100ft of water. First drop and Dave has a nice trout on board. Things look very promising but apart from the weather I was concerned about the lack of run.

After an hour - 2 trout and a heap of small sweetlip - 4 varieties so far. Then Dave brings in what he calls a trout cod?

Re: Cairns today - what is this a trout/cod?

I comment that I've never seen one and then catch one that was a little smaller the next drop. Both were returned though they looked like they would taste great.

Dave adds trout number 3 to the boat and we move to another bommie. 1st drop here and I bring in an undersize red emperor - looks like the right sort of country. 2nd drop and I get smashed - a very strong fish which is going up and down. I thought possibly a red then a trevally, the 50lb braid keeps it off the bottom and after 3 minutes of arm stretching....CRAP

A beauiful fish but not what we were after. Oh well 4 trout and a doggy mackeral in the ice for dinner and the trip from hell home. Once we got away from the reef and into the paddock 15-20 felt like 15+20. Missed the Cowboys but still had a great day,

Shafty

I think he is right with the trout cod call - Epinephelus maculatus

Good to eat but may cause ciguatera. Stick with the trout I reckon.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

not bad Shafty, that's a beaut Chinaman. I thought you would have copped a caning on the way back - was pretty windy yesterday. I went out today and the wind was still up - trolled back to the ramp at 6 knots!

cheers,

steve