Thread: jigging kingys

jigging kingys

hey guys did a trip today with a few mates on john goodings boat "outlaw". headed out to the 42s east of moreton and the plan was to jig a few kingys and hopefully an amberjack or eight . the wind was up early and so the plan was to leave the livies we had caught in the tank and soley concentrate on jigging large knife jigs for the kings.
    first drift was just a trial run to see how and where we would be positioned and yeilded noi fish for 2 drops. then the second drift john says to us "hurry up fellas this is the one" and was he right!! for the next 4 hours or so it was pretty much mayhem with the kingys, no really big stuff the best my mate randy caught going around 12kgs but all solid fish from the 6-10kg range.
    while i was jigging away i had a nice little mishap as i have been getting the last few trips. the handle on my tld snapped clean off the screw that holds it onto the shaft. not happy >. oh well get out the calcutta 700 it'll do i think...... no again it has one go of the vigorous jigging and decides to pack it in also. not happy agian > oh well back to the trusty btr6500 which in turn got me my biggest fish of the day
    we had a great day considering the wind that was blowing which made things a little tuff but john really made the trip fun and exciting had a ball

here are some photos of our fish
    btw the kingys tasted great tonight which really surprised all of us

cheers matt

ps. thanks for the tips roderick and i WILL be geting a new saltiga z 40 for the job now

Re: jigging kingys

randy with biggest fish of the day

another

way to go matt, looks like hard work that jigging, add some kings you woudl have worked hard today!

catch 4 blokes ao around 4 fish each for the day to keep i think trew that many back if not more too

good fish matt go the btr6500 woot!

good stuff matt sounds like a great day. how are the arms? bit longer?

Bring on the Marlin!!!

Awesome mate,
    I'm hanging out to get out and break some equipment, woohooo and then a great excuse to go shopping..

Nice haul Matt,

yep kingys are a good chew.

Steven
    Cheers

Steven

bidkev

Nice going Matt. At what depth were they hitting the jigs?

kev

Bloody beautiful fish. Did you get much bycatch apart from the little sambo or the bonny?
    Matt

Nice catch mate! Are those fins on the back of the kingies sharp? Cause we got busted up a few times by them and it looked like they had worn there way through the trace!

Mitch

nah the fins arent too sharp if anything it would have been them rubbing u off on the reefs. they have a habit of doing that

mattooty- we ended up with 4 bonito and a mac tuna all on jigs too but thats it really

cheers matt

Great day there Matt, good to see the arms getting stretched. Those Kingies pull hard dont they.
    Sorry to hear about the tackle but at least it illustrates how harsh that kind of fishing is on the gear.

Keep catching em mate.

Roderick.