Thread: Banks Saturday 24th

Banks Saturday 24th

We left Mooloolaba @ 5-30am and had a good run out to the bank but seemed to be in all the wrong places until about 10 am. We then found a spot which we anchored on and caught a few snapper and a samsonfish. Things were looking promising. Then we put out some burley and noticed a nice yellowtail kingfish feeding on the burley so we put down a jig but caught a small one. We kept it next to the boat hoping to attract the big one but instead got about 30 more small ones. These then sat under the boat and proceeded to attack anything which moved, even bait less snapper hooks. We could not get rid of them. We tried revving the motor, throwing burley to one side of the boat and casting snapper baits out on the other, using heavy jigs to get past them, we even pissed on them, but they nailed everything that moved and eventually we had to up anchor, do a big circle at speed to lose them and re anchor. We then managed a couple of hours of decent fishing and ended with 9 small kingfish (reluctantly) 10 snapper, 1 samsonfish, 1 amberjack and a parrot. The trip back was a beaut with lots of whale entertainment. By the way has anyone ever hit a whale en route to the banks ?

Re: Banks Saturday 24th

Nice catch there Sacman! We also had the kingies around the boat on saturday but they were much larger around the 10kg mark and they busted us off everytime we hooked up! I to have often wondered about the whales i pray i never hit one though! I all most cleaned up a big turtle on the way home from the banks though, imagine what that would do to the out board!

Well done again,

Mitch

Tidy catch and good story Sometimes those kingies are a pain in the backside
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

shoo those kingies over my way
    muz.

Dave

Great report. God to see you got into them. We also had the kingies at the boat, everytime we bought a fish up the kingies would follow, ended up nailing a couple of them of decent size.

Dave

hey are you sure they are kingies and not rainbow runners? sacman.
    they look very simular. they(rainbow runners) are in plague proportions on the tops of the banks at the moment.
    damon