Thread: Longtail capers

Longtail capers

Hi all

Left Cleveland last Friday for a trip to the 4 beacons in beautiful conditions. Arrived at the beacons around 8.30am to be greeted with school after school of small mac tuna crashing around the boat. Aftre a brief session of catch and release we moved over to the beacons to gather an amazing variety of baits (slimies, pike, yellowtail, long toms etc) before heading off to the edge of the shipping channel for a session.

After 45 minutes of cubing I hooked up on a large tuna which proceede to drag us about 2 km (over the next 30 minutes) before we got him up to have a look. By this stage we were right in the middle of the shipping channel with a rather large ship bearing down on us. It was now or never for me and the fish but in my haste to finish off the fight, the leader clipped the burley bucket and snap.....all over... ahhhhhhh

Headed over to tangalooma for lunch and then back out to the same spot for another session. My deckie Alan immediately hooked up and lost another tuna, then hooked up again straight away and after an exhausting 25 min fight walking around and around the boat we boated a 16kg longtail tuna...the first to finally make it into my boat...

Overall a great days fishing.. looking forward to getting out their again soon. Thanks to fishinmishin on providing me with the knowledge to make our great day possible

Attached is a picture of a very happy Al with his largest longtail to date

Re: Longtail capers

After the effort you put in shame you had to put the weight on in the shipping channel, but despite the loss sounds like a good trip.

Cheers Richo
    Regards

Richo

I am really doing a Big Kev here, I am excited.

Go effort and bring on the speedies

Cheers Steven
    Cheers

Steven

congrats on a nice fish there mate.

Yep that rod I bought off you flickflack almost paid dividends first time out.....must have some of your magic still attached to it!!!

Good one mate, was it up to the job?

Sure was....wasn't the rods problem that I lost the first fish...........something to do with the fact that I had about 3 minutes to get the fish in before my boat was crushed by a rather large container ship!!!!!!

Tough one bud,makes it more interesting

Mishinoffishin

Well done mate, now that you caught one it'll be running though your blood to go get another . Jay tells me he must have a lot to learn from you as he recons there was no LT's landed on your session together .
    Cheers

chanquetas

Nice fish....but not much chance of me getting one with 6lb braid in the kayak I suppose....

Big Kev for me too.... ooooh yeah!

Well done!

So the Mack tuna were feeding at the surface and the longtails were entised with cubing ... have I got that right? No Longtails feeding at the surface?

Murray.

We only spent 30 minutes or so playing with the mac tuna and didn't see any evidence of longtails actively feeding on the surface (although there were likely to be some scouting around). The trip was really to try out live baiting as it's not something we've done before (apart from my day out with fishinmishin) so we quickly ditched the lures and headed to the baecons to gather bait. I'm sure if we'd put more time in with the slugs we probably would have found longtails eventually

Mishinoffishin

When they are on the surface eating small bait, use small slugs as they won't even look at anything else but if they are nowhere to be seen, they might swim past and eat any offering.
    Cheers